Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Re: Fogging
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:26 am 
Walleye Angler

I reccommend synthetics and not just for marine engine winter storage, it's amazing stuff and use it in all my engines and gearcases from my suv to my lawnmower and chainsaw.
Take a minute and and check out the Amsoil product line you'll be surprised for sure, especially at the price, that is if you go in as a preferred customer you'll get it at wholesale and delivered right to your door to boot!
Go to www.syntheticmotorlube.com and you'll see there is a blend for each specific engine etc., even has gurantees.

Pro Staff- Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Canadian Rep/Distributor Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Pros Staff- Woo Tungston
Pro Staff- Liquid Mayhem
Pro Staff- Gino's Pizza & Spahgetti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 am 
Walleye

Thanks for the info Lar. I have been on their website and this could work for me.
cheers.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:53 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I have not fogged my boat motor(100hp Mariner) in 12 years!!!
I keep it in my garage and I turn the key every 3 weeks.
When it comes to gas tank, I store it full with stabilizer because I use the boat if weather permits into Dec or Jan. The reason for this is because my garage stays relatively warm and when I take it out to trailer to quinte it could be -5 in the am. With the boat being warmer it can condense in the tank, my buddy blew his 115 ficht that way(tank on a quarter).
I think it is whatever each person is comfortable with.
If I was putting an opti or e-tec away and not using it for 6 months I may feel differantly!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:51 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Great topic and replies. I've done both and stored the fuel tank full and empty. In recent years I tend to empty the tank do to not wanting the ethanol sitting in the tank all winter. In the spring I'll disconnect the fuel line and give the ball a couple of squeezed to get any moisture out of the tank, never have had any. Then I know that I'm starting off with fresh fuel for the season.

Perhaps I'll try the Phase Guard stuff this year and a full tank. Have been running it (Phase Guard) the last few months. I always have fogged the motor, sprayed a couple of shots of fogging spray into each cylinder, changed the gear oil before putting the boat to bed for the winter. I'm going to add pulling the prop and adding anti-seize to the list.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:24 pm 
Walleye Master

My manual says to store the boat with the tank full. Have always done that with no issues so far. Like I stated earlier, it has no mention of fogging. Maybe I'll give Merc a call. Boat will only be stored for 5 months.

Has anyone ever done the fogging by just removing the spark plugs and shooting the oil into the hole and turning the motor over in short bursts??

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:46 pm 
Guppy

Walleye 9 wrote:
My manual says to store the boat with the tank full. Have always done that with no issues so far. Like I stated earlier, it has no mention of fogging. Maybe I'll give Merc a call. Boat will only be stored for 5 months.

Has anyone ever done the fogging by just removing the spark plugs and shooting the oil into the hole and turning the motor over in short bursts??

Motors like a Mercury Optimax, cannot be fogged. I have a 115 Opti and in the owners manual it tells you to remove the spark plugs and put 1 oz opti oil in each cyl. Rotate the flywheel manually to distribute the oil and reinstall the spark plugs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:53 pm 
Walleye Master

Thanks JP...My motor is a 2007, 40 4 stroke Merc. I'll talk to a Mercury dealer on the weekend and see what they say. I'm sure if it needed to be fogged, it would be in the manual.

banner ad