Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:14 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:16 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hi First post
Been reading on this forum a few years and fished last year with no luck and once this year with no luck.
But finally I bought a pair of line counter reels. Always had a pair of boards but the reels made a difference.

Fished Sun Dec 2 in the wind and rain all day lost a board but caught a 31" 12 lbs at Keith's Shoal! The lure was a RR in Barbie color.
Later got a 29" 9lbs at the Bat cave on same lure

Trailered back on Monday to catch one only but 30" 10lbs on TD11 purple at Keith's , nice day slight East chop .Happy not skunked

Trailered back on Fri Dec 7 to get three! All on same lure TT20 in shad 220 feet back. A 29" 9lbs , A 30" 10lbs and a 30" 10.5lbs

My personal best was from 1980 a 30.5" 11.5lbs from my parents cottage near Sharbot Lake. It took 32 years and several skunks on the Bay to beat it!

My thanks to everyone for all the excellent info. Just to add all fish released to fight again.
I have some really good pics but can't figure out or am not allowed to post. Please help!

Thanks a million.
Rob

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by muskyrob on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Finally Quinte Gold!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:24 pm 
Baitfish

Congrats on the success and way to stick it out! those are some nice numbers to put up!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:42 pm 
Walleye Master

well done and great report. use imageshack or photobucket to load your photos. then you copy the code from their site and paste it into your post here...

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:46 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

What a great report about your fishing and the results, PB's are good.

Thanks for sharing

David aka Superdad

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:14 pm 
Walleye

Great stuff Rob. The first one is always the toughest. Thanks for sharing your success. I was in the same area Monday....probably saw you.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:49 pm 
Walleye Fry

Hi
posting pics is a painto resize and send.
more pics here.
the photo of the snap weight packagae is because these weights have a pin or post in the middle of the pad and will save you from losing boards in windy conditions.
Replace the rear snap on your board with one of these ,and the post in the peg will keep your line on the board no matter how windy.It unclips same as regular pad just get line past post.
Found out after I lost a board.
Rob

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:31 pm 
Walleye Master

Nice job, congrats on your success! Some real nice fish there.

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 am 
Walleye Catcher

Wow, those are some great numbers and sized walleyes! Congrats on the PB. As far as the clips...wouldn't you want the one on the board (in the middle, as opposed to the back one on the split ring) to be the one that will not let go at all? I've had problems with that too, mostly because I use braided line so I got these:
http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR18.html
I put them on 'front' clip - the one attached to the board, not the 'back' one on the split ring. Seems to work great.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:21 am 
Walleye Fry

About those clips
I was told to put on back of board so that if front slides off ,the board will stop digging and flip around so you know right away.
If the special clip is on the front and the back clip lets go you won't know until you wind in to check lure and could be trolling with only one clip on.

I was looking at some of my lures that I just bought for this fall and looks like they had hits but never noticed the board change when trolling.

I was finding it frustrating trying to figure out if fish on or not. I would take rod out of holder and hold to see if extra weight but hard to tell with board digging in. Out of 6 fish in the boat only 1 really made the board dance around to let me know fish on.

How do you tell if a fish is on?

Rob

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 am 
Walleye Catcher

Let's clarify front vs. back of board. I'm calling the front of the board the clip that's on the black plastic protrouding from the middle of the board and the back clip the on on the end, attached to the split ring.

I put the upgraded no-slip braid clip on the front as I don't want that one to ever let go. The back clip is supposed to let go when a fish bites, and with only the front clip remaining the board will no longer plane out to the side and will quickly swing straight back of the boat indicating a fish on.

That said, I did end up dumping 2 boards this weekend, but they didn't have the OR-18 on on the front. What a PITA that is, clearing 5 lines to back for a wayward board - I'm sure a few members of the board probably had a good laugh watching us try to net our boards on Saturday.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:42 am 
Walleye Fry

Oh I see. The clip at the back, lure end is supposed to let go when a fish is on, and board will stop digging.

So the rear clip I should move the tiny spring inside to lighten the grip force too?
Rob

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:40 am 
Walleye Master

Nice fish muskyrob. Congrats on the PB. If you're having a hard time reading the board when the fish is on, just set your drag loose, (just enough where the board isn't pulling it) and when you hear the clicker start going on the reel, FISH ON!! If you're using braid, you can do a double wrap on the clip, and that should stop the line from slipping. Or, don't use braid, use mono!!! LOL

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:29 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Walleye 9 wrote:
If you're using braid, you can do a double wrap on the clip, and that should stop the line from slipping. Or, don't use braid, use mono!!! LOL

I tried that in the spring time for browns...I wouldn't recommend it. I lost a few fish messing around trying to undo the wrap around the clip with a fish on the line. Also, got a nasty line cut. Those OR-18 clips did the trick for me.

I will admit mono works much better in the standard planar clips, but I with the no-stretch and low-diameter of braid I just can bring myself back to using mono for anything but topwater fishing.

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:46 am 
Walleye Fry

some awesome quinte walleyes !!! very nice

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:44 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Nice fish!! I've got the OR-18's on all my boards, wouldn't be without them. Even with those clips I still do a single wrap and place it as far back as the line will go when using braid. No need for the wrap when using mono as others have stated.

banner ad