Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Floatation Suit Advice
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:50 pm 
Walleye Master

Looking at maybe buying a floatation suit, but know absolutely nothing about them. I would want a 2 piece. Comfort is key. I've tried on jackets before, and some of them seem to be really stiff. Are the suits the same??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:53 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Take a look at Arctic Armour

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:46 pm 
Walleye Fry

Due you plan on using it on a boat.
If so get one that is Transport Canada approved as a floatation device.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:47 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Arctic Armour is not approved

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:52 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Get a one piece suit with an opening for a man's necessity.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:21 pm 
Baitfish

I have a 2 piece Mustang suit. They are way more flexible(ergo dynamic) than the ones I purchased 20/10 years ago. I like the 2 piece suit better than the one piece for versatility ( can remove the jacket if it gets warm, but probably float feet up if you go into the drink). The one piece is probably more safe( and warmer) if you happen to go over board (nobody wants this to happen). The OPP lectured me about this once a few years ago for about 30 minutes! Remember that they are only water resistant and NOT water proof, you will get wet (unless there are waterproof models out there now). I wear a goretex shell under the jacket when rain is forecasted.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:28 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I bought a 1 pc mustang last year. Its very warm but a bit bulky. And the pockets are already ripped out of it. I paid three hundred bucks for it. The pockets are made out of only 1 layer of the neoprene material which it ripped fairly easy. i would definatly go with another mustang but i would research if they made a more durable suit.

My 2 cents
taylort

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:40 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I replaced my old mustang classic last year with a one piece mustang integrity HX suit. The integrity was not nearly as stiff as the classic was when it was new. It's really warm, I could go with one less layer underneath, and has reinforced knees, elbows and seat. Better pockets on the outside than the classic suit. My only negative comment is the lack of inside pockets on the chest. They would be good for keeping your phone/gps or an extra pair of gloves warm against your body.

Two piece suits do offer better mobility, but I find the one piece much warmer and after they get broke in a bit they are quite comfortable to move around in.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

Post subject: Floatation Suit Advice
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:46 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Also check out the mustang ice rider sets. Some times they go on sale at royal distributing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:27 pm 
Baitfish

look into striker ice suits, lower cost alternative good flotation and the float design they use keeps it from being to stiff... they had to do a redesign of the pants because the crotch had a habit of ripping the seem but thats all sorted now.

Nice and warm, a lot of pockets, good flotation and not as expensive as some.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:34 pm 
Walleye Angler

I have had mustang coat in pants for over 10 years and use it for everything, fishing spring winter and fall, skiing, snow blowing etc . Mustang is the best, but just be aware they sell different levels of there coats and the cheaper ones you will not be happy with. The more expensive ones have nicer zippers, hood system and are softer. One peices are nice, i have used them but depending on the weather they can be to hot. I use mine spring fishing and winter ice fishing. For example in the spring you might be cold in morning but as you warm up you can take the coat off and the bibs are just right, one peice you cant do that. Same with ice fishing, need to be warm to get out to hut of fish on the ice, but once in hut nice to be able to take coat off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:49 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Salus Suits. Made in Canada and every bit as good as other brands and when its time to buy a new one I wont even blink at the thought. imo.

Ass Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:35 pm 
Walleye Fry

assmonkey wrote:
Salus Suits. Made in Canada and every bit as good as other brands and when its time to buy a new one I wont even blink at the thought. imo.

Salus is a Canadian company but some of the floatation suits are made in China.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 am 
Walleye Catcher

Fiftyquest wrote:
look into striker ice suits, lower cost alternative good flotation and the float design they use keeps it from being to stiff... they had to do a redesign of the pants because the crotch had a habit of ripping the seem but thats all sorted now.

Nice and warm, a lot of pockets, good flotation and not as expensive as some.

x2. I got the new striker hard water 2 piece floater suit. It's designed for ice fishing, but I use it for fall fishing in the boat also. It's warm, very well designed, 100% waterproof (although you're going to get wet if you go in the drink), not bulky for a floater, has zippered arm pit vents, lots of pockets, reinforced knees and seat, adjustable inseam length (velcro fold-up cuffs on the pants). I've been meaning to put up a review with some pics, they are a great suit!

Superdad wrote:
Get a one piece suit with an opening for a man's necessity.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

David aka Superdad

That is an important thing to consider - it's not fun trying to do your business in a one piece, especially on the ice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:22 am 
Walleye

A few years ago we spent a couple of terrible days on the water with the Coast Guard searching for a lost duck hunter. His partner in a one piece suit washed up late the first day and survived. This young man had a two piece suit and wasn't found until the following spring. The point the Coast Guard made was that not only are these suits for floatation but just as important is protection from and delaying the onset of hypo-thermia. The one piece sized right and worn correctly provides the max. possible protection while a two piece just becomes a bell in the water and provides almost no protection against the cold. I now only use a one piece, but if your wearing the suit primarily for hard water fishing you would probably be okay with the two piece. Bottom line is buy the best one piece you can afford!!

banner ad