Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:47 am 
Walleye Fry

I was wondering if the kayak anglers on the board might be able to offer some insight on the advanages/disadvantages of a sit on top and cockpit style kayak. I'm looking at getting into kayak fishing and would like to know what would be best.

Also, are there any suggestions as to what a person needs to spend to get a comfortable rig that's set-up to fish small lakes and rivers?

Thanks very much.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 pm 
Perch

Mike I have been fishing from a Yak for 5 or 6 years now, As to choice it would be best to try each type at a dealers. I have a sit in. A Pungo 140 from Wilderness Systems. The advantage of a sit in is that you remain dry, (mostly) It is good in early and late season from the cold. Most yak fisherpeople use a sit on top. You can move around while you fish and they are easy to get on and off. You should check out the site www.yakfisher.net that is an Ontario based forum that has tons of advice as you look at old posts As for cost about 800 to 1000 is a good start. Don`t go short on Kayak length the longer the easier it is to paddle. Long boats track better than short.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:23 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

That's good advice. Although I prefer a sit on top kayak (safer as they are self bailing) and they are easy to get in / out of. As well the freedom of movement is greater. Yakfisher and www.Canadiankayakanglers.com are both great sites. I have a 10ft boat and wish I had bought a minimum 12'. Spend some money on a light paddle too. I have a aluminum paddle and it gets heavy after a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:26 am 
Walleye Angler

If you are thinking of bigger water or in the saltchuck, think big.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:47 pm 
Walleye Angler

I also have a Pungo from Wilderness Systems. I have the 120 and 2 140 Angler edition. I also have the skirt that goes around so you can fish in a downpour and stay nice and dry. My 50lb Dog comes with me too !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:52 pm 
Walleye Angler

I should add that the comfort of the seating system is fantastic. Ask anyone that owns one . It's a multiple positioning seating that easily adjusts to any angle while seated in the kayak. I use a seat cushion from CT for aded comfort. Gotta be comfortable or fishing just isn't fun lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:27 pm 
Walleye

I have one of each.sit in and sit on top. My sit in won't get much use anymore...it's a bring a friend yak now. The more I go out in my Cuda,the more I fall in love with it. paddling into a back bay and standing up too fish is amazing out of a kayak. The design and layout is almost perfect. I bring 4 rods out with me and there's a place for all four stock from the factory. No need to modify and add aftermarket stuff. Although many people do too suit they're fishing styles, I never had too. The high low seat is one of the most comfortable out there. I use it in the high position on calm days,low on windy days. I sold my motor boat that I've owed for 15 years and won't buy another. Yak fishing till I'm not able anymore! The one flaw about a sit on top vs a sit in is weight. My Jackson Cuda 12 weighs 73 pounds. My Clearwater Designs Inuvik 13ft weighs 49 pounds. Get yourself a good cart if you can't launch at a boat launch and all is good. I can't think of a better feeling then having a fish pull you around in a yak. A 2 pound bass can turn your yak around, a 10 pound laker can pull you across the lake! It's refired my love for fishing. Your welcome too come out fishing with me and try both and decide for yourself.$600 to $3000 for a yak.Mine were $900 and $1200 I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:49 am 
Walleye Fry

Thanks for all of the great information guys. I appreciate all of the help. Any chance somebody has a used angling model for sale at a reasonable price?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:43 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Sail has 10 ft pelicans like mine on for $250

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 am 
Walleye Catcher

Fishn' Magician wrote:
I was wondering if the kayak anglers on the board might be able to offer some insight on the advanages/disadvantages of a sit on top and cockpit style kayak. I'm looking at getting into kayak fishing and would like to know what would be best.

Also, are there any suggestions as to what a person needs to spend to get a comfortable rig that's set-up to fish small lakes and rivers?

Thanks very much.

Mike

We sell Old town and Ocean Kayaks. They are all on sale this week here at the store. Old town are one of the best brands on the market and come in at a really good price. Ocean Kayaks are the ones you see on TV. (just amazing)

You wont be disappointed in one of these. If you are interested in a new kayak...stop in the store.

I caught 30 muskies last season out of my 10' Old town (sit in)...largest being a 51 incher. I had no problem landing them.

Our sale on Kayaks this week can save you up to $200 off depending on the model you buy.

Stacy
Pro Tackle

(2 Km north of Hwy #401 up Hwy #37)

Specializing in Musky, Walleye, Bass and Pike tackle
Fishing Charters

Local phone: 613-968-4111
Toll Free:1-888-442-7456

Check our online Catalog at www.protacklefishing.com

banner ad