Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:43 am 
Baitfish

Hi guys I was looking at a fishing mag the other day and noticed some pretty good buys on legend boats. after last year running my 19 1/2ft fiberglass with 115hp on the back and lugging that heavy beast around.I decided im sick of the high gas bills and trying to find a good deep launch for it to go in the water at . Thus it leaves me thinking of something a little lighter smaller and less hp. I like the looks of the legend v-151 angler v-151 viper or the v-151 allsport and these seem to fall in my$$ range.
I was just wondering if any of you guys us these modles or know of any other makes i should check out? also was wonder if i should upgrade from the 25hp to something else any input would be greatfuly appreciated.

Thanks

mr merc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:54 am 
Walleye

I friend of mine has a legend boat and he's been happy with it. You might consider boosting up the HP. Legend is famous for putting the smallest motors on there boat to get them out the door at a great price. So you might not get the best proformance with the small motor. But do what you can with your budget and you can always upgrade at a later date.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Mike

banner ad
 Post subject: Viper 151
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:40 am 
Goby

I have a buddy with the viper model and he upgraded to 50 HP motor.

I have not been in the model with a 25 hp but the 50 is nice for that configuration. The only problem with the 50 HP motor is it interfers with the rear seat. You can't swivel around as seat hits the bigger motor body.

Perhaps a smaller seat purchase might be in order.

Good Luck on your search.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:25 am 
Goby

I have the 97 v-151 viper 25hp 4 stroke...i would definately upgrade the motor to a 40 or 50hp

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:15 pm 
Walleye

I have a 1993 Legend 165 Sportfish with a Merc 40hp 4 stroke. Power is fine with one or 2 guys but really lugs with more than that in the boat. If I was to do it again I would go at least 50HP but probably 60 HP. Other than that I have been very happy with it.

banner ad
 Post subject: Legend pricing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 pm 
Site Admin

Thhis topic and boat brand has come up here before. There have been countless folks who bought the package as advertised and then had to go back as they couldnt even get the boat up on plane once loaded. Sure it was fine with just 2 guys and little fuel but once you filled the tank and added a coulpe mre buddies it wouldnt get up on plane. As someone said the price advertised is to get it out the door. Ask how much to put the maximum horsepower on the boat then you will realize a crestliner/lund/pricnecraft is just as competitive.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:38 pm 
Walleye

I'm running a Princecraft Pro Series. I started out to buy a Legend but by the time I upgraded to the same motor and access'. that Princecraft had there wasn't much difference in price. Two friends have 15' Legends with the 25 hp package and they're a great package for two guys on a Lake like Moira but I really think you'd regret the 25 hp and 15' boat out on the Bay. Another quick thought is take a run up to Bass Pro, they're a full line Tracker dealer and the deep V series works real well on the Bay.

Good luck.

take the grandkids fishin

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:37 pm 
Baitfish

Thanks for your input guys looks like I should check out a few other brands and find out about a up grade on legend.Either way the wifes oked the new boat so it looks like im going shoping this week thanks again

mr merc

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:56 pm 
Baitfish

Hi you might want to take a look at the Lund classic 16 .It is new to the Lund line this year.They come in both models side console or tiller.I just bought one from a dealer in Port Colborne .They equiped it with a 2004 Mercury 50hp four stroke program engine. which saved me about 2800.00.The boat is rated for a 60hp but with the 50hp and a full live well 2 people and 19 gallons of gas it will do 35mph.These boats are very beamy and handle rough water extremly well.For 12995.00 you will get boat ,motor, ez loader trailer and lowrance fish finder.If you are intrested in looking at one p.m me . have a great day and good luck in your purchase.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

If you can afford the Lund..great choice...I have a 17 Lund Mr Pike, side console with 90 hp 4 stroke and love the boat, rides like a dream. I hit a shoal in Grande Lake Victoria, and I guarantee any other boat would have torn the transom off and been on the bottom of the lake. Hit so hard the motor came straight up...result..not a leak, not a loose rivet...very well made boat..Good luck and good fishing.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:30 am 
Walleye Fry

I know I am a little biased but the Tracker line is a better value in an entry level boat and right around the same money as Legend comparing apples to apples. Have a look at Fisher as well. I can get you an even better deal on a Fisher which is the same boat esentially. E-mail me if interested.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:55 pm 
Walleye Fry

Just be leary about Boatland Canada though. I've heard many horror stories about these guys including purchasing Fisher seconds that do not have any warrranty on their boats direct from Fisher in the US.

I love the look of the Fisher 17' Fishawk but opted to purchase a Sylvan Adventurer last year. Love the boat - way better than the 166 Super Pro I had.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:19 am 
Guppy

I had full intentions of buying a Legend in 2002 but looked around. I ended up buying a Crestliner Superhawk 1600 with a 75 4 stroke Merc on it. Glad I did. Not a huge boat but handles the Bay and surrounding water well. Planes out not bad with 4 people. Very good on gas, comfortable, has all the essentials. My suggestion is to shop around there are some better deals to be had if you look around. Buy and enjoy, don't buy and regret :lol: [/img]

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:17 am 
Goby

Buying A New Boat. Lucky Guy. There are so many boats to choose from, with a varity of features. A few of my friends own Legends & like them a lot. Of course you need to up grade the motor but not much. Of all the boats I have looked at over the years I keep going back to Legend as the Manufacture with the features I like. The rest of the Manufactures seem to follow Legend's lead.
I have had no problems with dealing with Boatland. I bought a Mercury 9.9 from them 2 years ago and the service I recieved was great. I would recomend them to anyone & they have some good deals, Now Seaway Marina in Oshawa I would not recomend. Maybe if I was spending thousands of dollars I would have had better service but that should not matter. Good luck in your quest....And have fun :D

banner ad
banner ad