Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:52 pm 
Jumbo Perch

I have been going my entire life to our family cottage on a small lake trout and bass lake in the Bancroft area, and all the hours I have spent fishing there became worth while last weekend.

The lake was stocked with lakers on a rotating every other year schedule in the late 70's, 80's and ended in the early 90's. After many years of over fishing and degrading spawning areas the lake trout population began to suffer terribly. During the 90's and early 2000's it quickly went from a lake that my uncles, grandfathers and the locals could fill the boat with 8+lb lakers, to a lake that VERY seldom gave up a trout. I spent many summers trolling and jigging with zero success.

During the last 5 years I have started to notice a SLOW return of some small natural lakers in the 2-4lb range. I am actually currently measuring the fish and collecting small fin clips from these fish for the MNR to study and DNA test to see if they are from spawnig stocked trout or some of the "Bancroft Stain" If they are actually the Bancroft fish, we may get our lake back onto a stocking schedule with some of the fish from the NHCFH Hatchery located in Bancroft.

So enough of the back story and to the fish story :D

So after another tough weekend of only landing one 3lb laker, I headed out sunday morning for one last spin around the lake before the rain started and we had to pack up. I get all sorted out hook a small minnow to the back of my favorite gold mepps spinner and cast it back, let out a couple rod lengths of line and put it in the rod holder. Not more than ten minutes into the troll my rod DOUBLES over and line is peeling off my poor little Shimano spinning reel. Its only 10lb test so I quickly back the drag off a touch more, and begin what is to me the battle of a lifetime.. Thinking to myself that if I don't land this fish nobody is gonna believe me, I very carfully fight the fish for the next 35-45 minutes without ever getting a look at it. Then it finally comes in and under the boat for my first look, and I instantly started shaking at the knees. Net over the side, under the fish and SUCCESS..

I was straight out from the cottage, so I quickly measure and weigh the fish and get it into the livewell for lots of aerated water and head in for a quick picture. After the picture the best part of all.. The release. It was almost majestic watching such a beautiful fish swim away.

After a quick conversation with Steve Lawrence at the Bancroft MNR he says judging by its measurements and CLIP the fish was hatched in 1985 and stocked into our lake with 700 others in 1987. He says maybe 1982, but 99.9% 1987. Thats 28 years old

The specs:

38" long
20.6lbs
RV fin clip

You never know what could be lurking down there, and unless you are ready to spend the time on the water you may never know :)

Adam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:03 pm 
Walleye Master

Wow congrats. That's a beauty and good for you to let it swim away

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:06 am 
Walleye Master

Great Report and a beauty fish. Congrats!

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:24 am 
Perch

great story. and a great fish. congrats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:43 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Great report. We need more people like yourself to maintain such a sensitive hatchery.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:52 am 
Walleye

Awesome report! Happy to hear that your lake is possibly on the rebound...28 year old laker, awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:37 am 
Walleye Wisdom

That's a beauty fish...congrats!

I'm heading to my families cottage on Jamieson Lake near Bancroft in a couple of weeks. Haven't been there since I was a kid. It's a bass / laker, lake and I've heard the lakers are pretty much gone. I'll be going full boar for them and didn't have too much of an idea of what to use. Looks like I'll be trolling a spinner and minnow. :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:33 am 
Jumbo Perch

Thanks for all the compliments guys.. It was a real beauty for sure.. I haven't kept a laker out of our lake for years now in hopes of saving the fragile population.. I also have to give a HUGE thanks to Senior MNR Biologiast Steve Lawrence and Bancroft area biologist Erin MacDonald for all the help and information they have given me to try and bring our lake back to a Bancroft native lake trout lake and not just another MNR stocked PGT lake, and for putting up with me and my millions of questions I ask them :D

Legacy, it was a medium size gold Mepps with a red bushy tail and a small dace minnow :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:04 pm 
Walleye Fry

thats awesome !!! kudos for putting her back !!!! and wow...28yrs old.....well done that memory will last you a lifetime....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:14 am 
Minnow

Great story! Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 am 
Walleye Catcher

great report, congrats on a doozy of a catch! Great to hear that wall-hanger is still swiming.

banner ad