Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: June 27 at the Bonet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:00 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Headed out from Brighton bay around 830. Was pretty foggy thank goodness for GPS or never would of found it. Just got the down riggers set and one rod fires 3 lbs rainbow. Thought the day was going to be a good one. Trolled around till 3 pm and no more sniffs. So I have a couple questions. Tried pulling a flasher with cut bait now how much line does every one run behind it. And how far back from the cannon ball do I run it? Thank for the help in advance.

Post subject: June 27 at the Bonet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:25 pm 
Walleye Master

Fred,

I was also at the bonnet yesterday. I think I saw you coming out. You set up off my bow I am "Bay of Quinte Charters".

Meat has not been good this year. I have dedicated a rod to it everyday with no fish off it. Don't know why, it was a staple last year.

Yesterday was great in the morning then slow from about 11am on. I had 2 kings 2 rainbows, 2 lakers and 1 brown by 10:30-11 then it slowed down. It was the general consensus that it was a slow day. I've been getting about 5 hook ups a day with kings and a good mix of trout daily. So it is still a little slow for kings. They are coming.

Flasher fly (green dolphin with no see um fly) and micheal Jackson rac spoon has been best so far this year. Rigger down 65'-75'.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

Post subject: Re: June 27 at the Bonet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:02 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

hey i have a question about flies behind the dodger. Single hook or treble hook lost two fish on flies today that had only single hooks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:15 pm 
Walleye

retired now but chartered for 17 yrs for salmon on lake ont... single hooks were all i ever used..... back then though we used 4 to 6 riggers and very few if any long lines... rigger hook ups were usually good if they were hungry.... now a days with alll the different set ups and long lines being used i could be wrong and trebles maybe the ticket for that style of fishing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:28 am 
Walleye Catcher

9 iron...in all the years of chartering did you ever catch any?

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 pm 
Walleye

got a floater someone lost one time does that count lol.... hey your oldest did real well today in the tourney..triple bogey on first and then 2 over for rest of round.. was a very good come back for connor.. hope he does well tomorrow... sitting in 4th after first day...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:11 am 
Walleye Master

fredflint wrote:
hey i have a question about flies behind the dodger. Single hook or treble hook lost two fish on flies today that had only single hooks.

To answer your question about flies. I have rigged flys with double single siwash or beaks. I like the treble/siwash double fly harness.

ATOMMIK tournament series flys have both treble and siwash. Regular series has only the treble. ATOMMIK's are sharp out of the package but some fly companies use cheap hooks that need to be sharpened. I don't have that problem because I only use ATOMMIK, or tie my own rigs.

The more hooks in the flies and the heavier the rattles the less action the fly will have so with these types you have to use a shorter lead length as compared to the the lighter flies.
Secondly some companies are using mono instead of 50 lb. fluoro. I have even seen fly harnesses with 30 lb. which doesn't impart much action on the fly body.

You didn't indicate what techinque you were using the flies on. Riggers, dipseys, cores or copper ????

If you are missing the kings on flys, they may be hitting short so just up your speed about .2 mph. Solves the problem sometimes.

Al

Captain - Team ATOMMIK/Rockets

banner ad