Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:42 am 
Walleye Master

Obviously the fishing is slow and none of us is happy about that, but please, let's keep name calling out of all conversations.

Well said Dog Lake.
I think there is truth in everything said on both sides and the best answer usually lies somewhere inbetween. As is in all large scale projects, there is bound to be issues at the beginning. The bigger the project, the biigger the issues. I just hope over the next few years they find a way to utilize both wind (and sun) power that can satisfy the majority.

As tough as that is.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:42 am 
Walleye Catcher

I would disagree with the property value assessment. I have lived on the island my whole life and have followed the property values. 12 years ago we could have purchased a waterfront house 2500 sq/ft, less than 15 years old with garage 200ft of shorefront for $185,000. Would have been great but were not in position to buy. There was also another 10year old water front on the south shore that sold for $145,000 at the same time. We purchased a lot a year later and within 3 years the value of our lot tripled and waterfront houses were selling for $500,000 for houses which were older and not as nice as the ones that sold for under $200,000. No one on the island could believe how much the prices jumped. Now we are seeing houses sell for a little less, but still quite high, what you are seeing now is a return to what properties should be worth before the boom.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 pm 
Walleye Master

whats the saddest is first they need to work on the grid and power storage then they can produce all the power they want but right now all excess power is either dumped or sold to the states for less money than they sell it to the canadian population how is that for a kick in the pants ??? bottom line is they dont want to make energy cheaper for the user they want to turn high profits selling power or gas to anyone who is willing to pay the price what will people do when the price of gas reaches 12 bucks a gallon ? im preetty sure they will moan and complain as they reach in there pockets to pay for it........... gas is at an all time high. so is eletric.. yet again so is the revenue for the gas and eletric companys

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:12 pm 
Walleye Master

This was a repost from a different fishing forum, original poster Belive's, and do not relate to me, i had previously left this part out.

The ruling on this project will be considered a land mark ruling, these project's are normally "rubber stamped" any ways.
Land mark ruling means environmental concerns can not be brought up again in court.
End of this year the off shore 2 year freeze will be over, and its fair to say every shoal in the lake ontario will have a wind turbine on it. Don't expect there to be a court case come time to build on the shoal's.
There is allot of money on the line for many people in this project, its said that people who allow these wind turbines to be built on there property will receive between 8-10 a year, per turbine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:11 pm 
Walleye Master

Grizzly is correct as per usual...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:35 am 
Walleye

I believe green energy is a great idea. The problem is the practical application is a nightmare for all the reasons posted above. Another problem is, in my opinion, that the current program for setting up and managing the green energy projects is terrible. The companies that run the show are subsidized by the government. Ontario already produces enough energy for it's population so excess (extra generated by the green programs) is sold at a loss. A huge loss. So, hydro users pay for the set-up, pay for their hydro, then pay for the excess to be sold at a loss as the government (who get their subsidy cash from us to give away) are guaranteeing the rate to the installers/managers. Again, in my opinion, this is another reason to scrap the entire program and start over. Alas, I believe the Ontario Liberals entered into 100 year contracts with the suppliers so unless new builds are stopped the amount of money thrown into the green energy programs abyss will only grow. Thanks Dalton.

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:00 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Bang on Grizzly and Billy Dee.... Bang on!!!

Thanks Dalton.... you can say that again!!!

We need to find a way to store the power that's created.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 am 
Walleye Master

I'd like to see them stabilize and store the green energy better and then simply reduce the nuclear\coal\oil generating stations supply in proportion thus creating the correct amount of energy we need. This would reduce both the surplus and emmisions. And in the perfect world, reduce our hydro bill. Hahaha.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:04 am 
Walleye Angler

When you realize that the purpose of the green energy plan is not to make electricity,not to clean the air and not to trash the largest natural wonder of the world with all the zest of the Taliban pulling down a 5,000 year old Buda but to subsidize jobs that can't be moved to China so that Ont. will have something when the auto industry pulls out. The reason they don't have a better plan for these things is they really don't care where they go as long as they keep cranking them out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:15 am 
Walleye Catcher

That is a very good point adventure, and actually closer to being realised than most think. Germany is working with a prototype hydrogen generation from excess wind turbine energy to be stored and used for power generation during peak times. Also a group from Alberta has discovered a more efficient method of generating hydrogen from electrolysis. Everybody here seems to point out flaws without actually providing a solution, and status quo is not the solution. European countries are leaps and bounds ahead of us in green energy production, Germany is producing 25% of its energy for renewables and putting in more every year. China is finding out how bad coal generation is when they tried to meet the rapid demand of electricity, now they are pumping billions into green energy projects because their pollution is so high.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:17 am 
Walleye Angler

Got any turtles on Amherst?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:31 pm 
Walleye Master

I know. we can wait til amhurt is infested with cormmerants then we can call its a vital rookery and problem solved. no wind mills lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:41 pm 
Walleye Master

No windmills, no solar energy or no other alternative energy = same old coal, oil and nuclear plants to supply our energy. At least until their mines runs out. And eventually they will. I guess our grandchildren or maybe their children will have to worry about that though...

Change doesn't come easy for some. But when we are screwing things up as bad as we are, it is necessary and it's up to us to realize that and do what we can to make a difference when and where it counts.

The more of us that make a positive difference, the bigger and better the impact.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:13 am 
Walleye Master

thats so true adventure Im way on board with that way of thinking, just the thing is THEY are NOT!! the sciance is there, they know what they need to do yet they dont want to spend money that gives no return so in this case we have a full cart and its now in front of the horse what good will the power be if the grid shuts down and totally fails ?two years ago there was talk of storing power in big sells off toronto in lake ontario sciance was persented the method sounded good and sound produce enegery all day store and use all night ....... now it seems to be hush hush and swept under the carpet . I wonder why . my guess is they just feel why ? we have more power than we need now!! we are ( or were) paying the US to take our power . its quite apparent they want our money proof is in the hydro bills we pay , the world runs on supply and demand in this case the supply is more then the demand bottom line is more would be in favor if it ment cheaper hydro but this is not the case

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:57 am 
Walleye

adventure wrote:
No windmills, no solar energy or no other alternative energy = same old coal, oil and nuclear plants to supply our energy. At least until their mines runs out. And eventually they will. I guess our grandchildren or maybe their children will have to worry about that though...

Change doesn't come easy for some. But when we are screwing things up as bad as we are, it is necessary and it's up to us to realize that and do what we can to make a difference when and where it counts.

The more of us that make a positive difference, the bigger and better the impact.

All very valid points adventure, however to take the logic of your first paragraph from a different angle, yes we should be looking at alternatives that make for a better future for the next generations, but hasn't the current attempt just mortgage their future by forcing the market to be tied to poorly managed, unwanted, untested programs? I'm all for advancing technology and newer, cleaner forms of energy production, but until the new forms are proven, efficient and welcomed we should be staying status quo. The devil you know...

A good example is the car. It's dirty, somewhat inefficient and runs on a valuable, limited resource. To get all the car owners to change their habits and lifestyles is going to take a very similar technology to what is already available or very few will make the change willingly. In my mind there is no viable alternative to the internal combustion engine running on gasoline and until there is, forcing a change on people will not work.

Whoever comes up with the clean technology for cars that keeps them basically the same as they are now in terms of power, range and capability will be a multi- mega billionaire and I wish I had the technical background to even have a chance at being that guy. :wink:

"(B)e wary of discarding the ancient system where we all have the right to make our own decisions for one in which we all have the right to make each others, in the hope of finding true human fulfillment through “positive” rights to other people’s money and applause?"

banner ad