Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: First Salmon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

First off I want to thank Scott from West Lake Willows for giving me some much needed advice . I stopped in to his store the other day to buy some Salmon tackle . And he was more than generous enough to give me ( a newby at Salmon trolling ) some tips .
So the kids and I made a deal , a few hours of Salmon fishing and then a few of hours of beach time at the dunes . So on the lake fishing by 8:00 and what a gong show it was for me . First for some reason while clearing my lines from water fleas my down rigger ball broke off as soon as it came to the surface , now we are down to 1 down rigger and I am only using one rod per rigger . I am a little discouraged at that point , I say lets just make one more pass and then off to the beach to the kids. We turn the boat and start heading East , when bang the one rigger fires and fish on. I grab the rod and take in the slack and I was just going to give the rod to my son , so I check the tension with my hand for the drag by pulling some line out of the reel and Bam the line breaks right in my hand . Now this got interesting as I held the rod up my son is pulling hand over fist of line with his hands . Luckily the Salmon was not a big one and surprisingly the Salmon swam directly to the boat , it was actually pulling the spin doctor behind it as it swam right to us , I grabbed the net and he swam right in . At this point we cashed in our chips and took a few pics and headed to the dunes .
We are ready to do it all again tomorrow. Lol

Post subject: Re: First Salmon
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Don't be so quick to thank Scott. lol Salmon are very adictive, once you get your first you will be wanting more!!!

Nice job.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

banner ad
 Post subject: First Salmon
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:58 am 
Walleye Master

Lol. Jim!!! That's a true story!!! It's his wife that's gonna hate me.

Catcher great work!!!! I was wondering why you went in so early. It was a great bite yesterday. Hope to see you out there today.

Scott

West Lake Willows offers 8 cottages and camping at the doorstep of the famous Sandbanks on West Lake.

www.bayofquintecharters.com, www.pictonharbourinn.com, www.westlakewillows.com

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:00 am 
Walleye Master

Way to go Gerry. The first one in your own boat is always a great one. And like the others said... very addictive. Your sons will be wanting to Chase them all the time now. It's killing me not getting out there. Hopefully this year is late and the salmon are still out there in September when I get back.

A couple of quick and basic things I've learned the hard way since being bitten by the salmon bug:

-Flea flicker line makes life a lot nicer out there.
-You need to get some more balls...uhh, you know what I mean. I carry a couple extra.
-I have a couple of back-up rigger rods now. (Thanks Scott)
-A dipsey diver set-up is great to have. The proper rod makes a big difference, I used a downrigger rod at first and it's near impossible to snap them open and makes for a long hard reel in. A stiff dipsey rod snaps them open much nicer. As does steel line. Carry an extra diver as well.
-Don't lower your lines down too quick or in a jerky manner, they can get tangled on the way down if you do. Smooth and steady and make sure they are working properly before sending them down. I hate when you reel in after trolling for a while only to find a tangled mess at the end of your line.
-If something doesn't seem, feel or look right with the rods or lines, reel in and check them. Again, I hate when you reel in a tangled mess or a baitfish. I've been considering having a 20-30 minute time limit for trolling a set-up and just checking it regularly for fleas, shad and tangles no matter what.
-target an area

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:09 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Good job. The first few times out can be a real cluster but you'll get the hang of it. Congrats.

banner ad
banner ad