Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Attention Quinte Fishers - This is a letter that I have sent to the Editor of Chill Magazine regarding an article promoting beer consumption while operating a fishiing or a sports boats.

I was amazed to read this tripe - I thought the word was getting out "DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE A BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David aka Superdad

Mr Scotty Stevenson
Publisher - Editor-in-Chief

I read with interest the article by Coleman Molnar - "Home on the Water" about men and their fishing boats.

The article began quite well, until I read the third paragraph:

"Call it a vessel for hunting or sport, or just call it the best damm place to drink a beer, the fishing boat is just one of those spots a man can feel at peace"

Sure, he can feel at peace with a Criminal Conviction for having liquor or beer in a fishing boat.

I would draw your attention to the following paragraph from the Safe Boating Guide, published by Transport Canada and upheld by the Police Forces.

Quote:

Don’t Cruise with Booze

Mixing alcohol and boating is far more dangerous than you may think. Under normal conditions, sun, wind, the motion of the boat and even just being tired can dull your senses. Alcohol makes things even worse, slowing your hand-eye coordination and clouding your good judgment. Don’t cruise with booze! You might harm yourself or others. You are responsible for the safety of your guests and for not putting other waterway users in danger. You must always be prepared and alert.

Drinking and driving (whether on land or water) is against the law and the consequences, even for a first offence, can last a lifetime. Provinces and territories have their own rules on legal alcohol limits — when you can drink and how alcohol can be carried on board. Contact your local law enforcement authorities for more information. Unquote

The rules of boating are quite plain, NO BEER OR LIQUOR on a boat without a permanent toilet and that the boat must be moored. There is NO consumption on a boat.

I believe that CHILL magazine has a duty to print an apology in its next issue and that apology should be posted front and centre on the website.

I cannot believe someone would write about drinking on a boat with all the publicity from the Police and public officials. It is unthinkable to publish words to promote your products and lead young readers to areas whereby they could ruin their lives or the lives of others.

David A Delcloo

Kingston, ON

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:55 pm 
Walleye Master

Well said David.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:23 am 
Site Admin

very good point Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:10 am 
Walleye Master

Good for you David I agree with you on this 100%...

Fishy Fishy In The Bay, Bite This Line And Make My Day....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:23 pm 
Walleye Angler

well written Dave, amazing in the day that this written.
Water on the water and beer on the pier, isn't that the new philosophy?
Nothing beats a cold beer after a good day of fishing! Cheers from Quebec

Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:52 pm 
Minnow

What about non-alcoholic beer? :)

I've had to make the switch to non-alcho beer do to health reason. Anything wrong with taking it fishing. The Becks is 0.0% and tastes pretty damn good...well good when compared to other NON or De-Alcoholized beers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:43 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Some times things work out - enclosed is the letter I rec'd today from Chill Magazine, it is gratifying to see the results of a letter of concern.

David aka Superdad

Mr. David Delcloo;

Foremost, thank you very much for your e-mail citing the error. This was obviously an egregious oversight on our part. As the associate editor, I, as well as our corresponding writer, wrongfully presumed that alcohol was permitted on a boat, so long as the operator wasn’t consuming any of it at any time. Having thoroughly reviewed the Ontario Liquor Licence Act after reading your note, it’s become alarmingly clear that we were wrong here, and we sincerely apologize for this. We will be issuing a correction online immediately, and promoting safe boating going forward—just as we have in the past (please see attached).

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we hope you’ll continue to read and enjoy Chill.

Thank you again,

Blake Dillon | Associate Editor | Chill Media Inc.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:46 pm 
Walleye

classy move by you and a classy quick reply from the mag..... two thumbs up to you for effort...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:16 pm 
Minnow

I could not agree more!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:43 pm 
Walleye Angler

Having never heard of Chill Mag. I was going to remind Dave that there are places in the world where a beer is a beer and not a dozen and people can responsibly consume a beer without endangering themselves and others even on a boat, and the law charges those for things they did not for what they might do ( I think the place is Montana). But then I googled Chill and found it is published in Ontario so never mind.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:58 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Well done Dave!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

They give you any free beer ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:07 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

What's shocking is chill is made by the beer store, you would think they know Ontario liquor laws

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 pm 
Walleye Fry

This does not surprise me what so ever, I used to work out in Toronto and half of them don't even know where Oshawa is. I would imagine the writers/editors have only been out on yachts or similar type boats if ever in their lives. Obviously this was a case of them thinking they know what they are talking about when in reality they haven't a clue.

Take a look at boating in movies you will be hard pressed not to find any without alcohol. Even more sad especially movies geared towards teens.

banner ad