PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:03 pm 
Walleye Angler

Have anyone seen this?

Province increases walleye fishing opportunities in eastern Lake Ontario

Author: Ministry of Natural Resources
Source: Ministry of Natural Resources
Province increases walleye fishing opportunities in eastern Lake Ontario
Removal Of Size Limit Regulation Takes Effect For Start Of Walleye Season
TORONTO — As the walleye season opens on May 7, the Ontario government is eliminating the lower size limit for walleye in the Bay of Quinte and eastern Lake Ontario, Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay announced today.

"We have determined that the existing size limits haven't had a significant beneficial impact on the walleye population in the Bay of Quinte, but have had a negative impact on the economies of local communities," said Ramsay. "Removing the slot size regulation will increase angling opportunities without adversely affecting the numbers of larger fish."

Under the regulation change, anglers will now be able to keep walleye that are up to 63 centimetres long in parts of Lake Ontario, including the Bay of Quinte and Prince Edward County. For all of Lake Ontario, the walleye catch and possession limit is four fish under a sport fishing licence, and two fish under a conservation licence. For both types of licence, anglers are also allowed to keep one walleye greater than 63 centimetres long.

"I certainly support this decision," said Ernie Parsons, MPP for Prince Edward-Hastings. "This is a top notch walleye area in Ontario and removing the lower size limit is good news for anglers and our local economy."

The ministry implemented a size limit for walleye in eastern Lake Ontario in 2002 following public consultation over concerns about the health of the walleye population in the Bay of Quinte. A review of the slot limit found that it only resulted in a 10 per cent drop in overall angling harvest and didn't have a beneficial effect on the breeding walleye population.

The regulation change is in effect pending the results of the regulation review currently under way. The ministry is developing a fisheries management plan for the Bay of Quinte in partnership with stakeholders. This plan will guide future fisheries management decisions.

This press release was issued by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources on May 5, 2005

http://www.ofah.org/News/index.cfm?ID=2 ... oc&DID=712

Articles posted on media watch may not always reflect the policies or positions of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters. Please direct questions or comments to O.F.A.H. ( ofah@ofah.org ).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

Just phoned MNR ( 531-5700) and they confirmed it, boy is this going to be big trouble for the opener, derbys ETC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:01 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Wow, talk about waiting till the last minute. Sure gonna confuse everybody. Think I'll just shore fish this opener. Boat hasn't seen water in years. Kinda got buried in junk in the garage. Good fishin to everybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:21 pm 
Walleye

The MNR has great timing don' they. At any rate the change isn't all bad. They just eliminated the slot but kept the fact you can only keep one Walleye over 63 cm.

Mike

Post subject: slot
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

If they are minimizing the amount of larger fish retained, I am more inclined to support this revision.

As for timing, I would suggest that this was consciously done as a "good news" item. If I was in the drivers seat, I would have considered it, but likley have gone with an earlier announcement like say Apr. 1.

I wish everyone well on the opener and wish I was there myself. I especially enjoy seeing all the activity and the socializing, but by and large like to fish after the opener, and let the crowds enjoy themselves to their fullest. Have fun.

Don Stokes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:06 pm 
Jumbo Perch

i can't say that i'm opposed to the change, but a little more notice would have been nice. most of the walleye that we catch on west lake are between 19 and 23 inches with the occasional one or two above or below the (former) slot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:40 pm 
Guppy

Hey Guys,

I'm afraid that I don't see this change as a "good news" story. Just the opposite actually. Harvesting more adult walleye can only have a negative impact on the fishery in the long run. The fact that a "significant" positive benefit from the slot was not observed over the relatively short time period that it was in place does not surprise me. The slot was still very liberal and it was not in place long enough to properly assess the impact. There has been no significant positive benefit yet from complete closure (10 years) of the cod fishery on Canada's east coast, but it doesn't mean that it was the wrong thing to do. If we keep with this line of reasoning, then perhaps we should open up the cod fishery as well. This surprise change of direction is completely opposite to everything that is talked about in the fisheries literature these days. The move seems entirely political and is not based on sound conservation strategies. The Quinte walleye fishery is world class and deserves special protection. In my opinion, this is a sad day for it.
Bruce Tufts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:42 pm 
Guppy

"A review of the slot limit found that it only resulted in a 10 per cent drop in overall angling harvest and didn't have a beneficial effect on the breeding walleye population."

Okey, dokey. So having no lower limit obviously would mean the harvest would have been (and will be) 10% HIGHER, right?

"We have determined that the existing size limits haven't had a significant beneficial impact on the walleye population in the Bay of Quinte, but have had a negative impact on the economies of local communities," said Ramsay. "Removing the slot size regulation will increase angling opportunities without adversely affecting the numbers of larger fish."

If the harvest increases by 10%, how can the number of " larger fish" not be adversely affected?

Only a politician could try and get away with making a statement like that! Oh well, he'll keep a couple of dozen local businesses off his back now, won't he?

SAD! :cry:

CCB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:55 pm 
Walleye Angler

Hi Tufts B
It is good to see you post.

I agree with you. So much of what is done is largely out of the stakeholders hands, with so much more that could be done to make this and other fisheries far superior.

Creative resource leadership is in short supply.

Regards
Don Stokes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:27 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Quick Question?
Does that mean all areas like Weller Bay and Brighton Bay as well , I see referance to BOQ in a few other boards as well and just curious. I am new to fishing Ontario and live in Brighton and plan on going out in the morning with the youngster for some fun I hope.
Thanks.
Tylercurt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:34 am 
Walleye

TuftsB I agree with whole heartedly. Wrong move at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:32 pm 
Walleye Angler

I was wondering if maybe they brought the upper limit down to somewere around 20 inches if that would be better in the long run than what they have now . Any thoughts ?

banner ad