Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:13 pm 
Walleye

Big Mac I am not about to get in a pissing match with you or any other board member on this matter. We dont know what was dicussed between you and them , there are always 3 sides to a story, yours; theres and the real one. All iam saying that i have had no problem with them. Just like some guys will come on here and say they havent a problem with other mechanic or dealers. You had your rant and really that should be left between you and them. as far as picking the bill apart well that shouldn`t be done via the internet , iam sure all garages charge to get rid of oil,hell they do it when they change the oil in my truck. Again not a pissing match , just no problem with them. Enough said.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:49 pm 
Walleye Angler

I'm just a back yard mechanic but for a motor that was working fine one minute and not the next I wouldn't be looking for a worn out cam. I suspect you lost your oil pressure(alarm) and lunched the cam on your way back. You might want to dig a little deeper into that motor or at least keep a close eye on the oil pressure when you fire it up..An engine alarm is overheated or lost oil pressure, a new cam doesn't fix either one.

I've seen an aluminum caddie engine run with no oil pressure till it collapsed the lifters and quit. That might explain why they couldn't get it started again.

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:20 pm 
Walleye Master

I wondered that also but the alarm went away and the temp didn't go up. Also it started first turn the day after when I loaded it onto trailer. No alarm then either. I think I prob picked a weed up goin through Wellington.

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:15 pm 
Minnow

Well BigMac it looks like you really got screwed by the guy who sold you the boat, hate to tell ya but I think he seen ya coming. Someone else posted that you probably have a lot more problems than just a cam shaft, and when it calves on ya, are you going to post on the internet how he screwed you just like you think Glenora Marina did.
I agree with Demoman, you should have kept it between you and Glenora, it will only come back to haunt you.

As far as Glenora Marina goes, there is a reason they have been in business for the past forty years. I have been taking my boats there for years and have never had a problem with their service, and in all fairness to Jay their mechanic, he may be fairly new to the trade, but in trade school for a marine tech they don't teach much on inboard motors like they do with outboards. That's why Jay and Larry had someone else come in and take a look for a second opinion, and the guy that they brought in is very well known for the past 25 years in the marine trade in the County and Quinte area. It's no different in any garage when one tech isn't quite sure on something he would get someone else take a look.
As for oil disposal fees, almost every shop now pays to dispose of it.

And for the ones complaining about the ramp, don't use it, just less of a lineup for me to deal with. I have launched my 20 foot bass boat and my 18 foot runaboat for years there, you just back in slow and take out slow. Its nice there are no line ups and no idiots that don't know how to back up to deal with.
Oh, and of course your trailer is going to bounce, if you drive like a FREAKING IDIOT!!!!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:53 pm 
Walleye Master

No offence but they should have just said it was too big of a job in the first place and that they were unable to help. That's the whole point. You don't nickel and dime a customer on charges to build up a huge bill only to say its too big of a job after all that.

Honestly had they have stepped up and said that at the beginning I would have respect for them. Also had they have stepped up and taken accountability for the fact that they wasted 3 weeks and didn't tell me they had an untrained mechanic, Oh and maybe paid for the starter they fried I would have no issues. I have no problem with paying some of the money I paid. My issue is the lack of understanding.

And yes obviously previous owners got me good. Lesson learned

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 pm 
Walleye Fry

Its hard these days finding a reputable shop. Once you find one stick with them.no matter if its marine, automotive, home or what ever. If you feel you got screwed, you feel you got screwed. Move on. Find someone else.
Reading his invoice, I would be pissed too. Buts that's my two cents.

Being a shop owner, I couldn't charge that much and not fix his problem. I couldn't sleep at night..

As mentioned before there are more than one side of the story. But the invoice kinda makes it black and white.

Amd as far as the chicken *** issue. We do get paid for someone to take our old oil..

That's the end of my rant on this topic.

Good fishing to everyone!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:36 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Reglbegl
Good thing we got your 2 cents!! I don't think anyone was complaing. Simply stateing past experiences there. And to say, not to bother useing it. Some people depending on there vehicle and boat can't launch there period. And when u gotta go extra slow and be very cautious putting in or pulling your boat out so you don't smash your lights off on a boulder. Why bother!! Keep paying your 8 bucks to launch, I would rather go 1km away and launch for free and not have to worry about any repercussions of useing that launch! Not to mention the unmarked rocks 30 yards from there launch. The pros don't outweigh the cons of useing that launch for me!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:38 pm 
Minnow

IMO I have to agree with BigMac, I think that they just need to improve on customer service! Communication is key!!!

On opening day for walleye I needed fluid for my trim unit. The shelf had a price of 9.99 for a litre of power trim with 7-8 bottles behind it. When I went up to the cash to pay they were charging 13.99 + tax for it and I corrected them on the price. The reply I got was that is an old price and should have been taken down, I was expecting that they would just give it to me for the 9.99 but there answer was that they could not sell it at that price.

So for that reason I will never go back there! It's the principle behind the customer service. If they really needed the extra 5 bucks cool, but when you look at the customers I'm sure they have lost over the years because of this customer service maybe they will learn when no one will buy from them.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 am 
Walleye

For those telling BigMac that he should have kept it between him and the marina I have to say I am thankful he didn't. I have not been there before but after finding out how much he paid for something that came out more broken than it did going in has me thinking it's probably wise to not go there. I understand that there are many sides to a story but I agree with Outkast in that the bill makes it pretty black and white.

It's well known in business that if a customer has a good experience they may tell one other person but if a customer has a bad experience they will probably tell ten people...and in this case use the internet to warn as many others as possible of what is possible if you go there for service...making it even more important to be fair and up front with the customer as to avoid this type of press.

I am also glad that others who have good experiences there are piping up, but I don't really get folks telling him he should keep it between him and the marina.

Andrew

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 pm 
Walleye Master

No it wasn't bills boat. From what I hear his boat is solid and in very good hands.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 pm 
Walleye Master

Update:

Boat is fixed. Issue was cam shaft. I also had them do a tonne of other things to ensure smooth sailing.

Cam shaft
Lifters
Rods
Timing chain
Timing gear
Gaskets
Starter
Fuel pump
Thermostat

Not a cheap repair and lesson learned on kijiji but still much cheaper than a new motor.

The issue with the audible alarm was temp related and took them 20 mins to fix. Somehow the water intake hose for the seawater pump was kinked. Fixed that and all is well. Oil pressure aces, runs solid and sounds good.

Too bad a marina couldn't figure this out. Especially the over heating problem since there's only a few reasons why the alarm goes off. I gave the manual for the motor to the mechanic last week and it was all he needed.

Thanks to fieldings tire (Firestone) in Kingston and more specifically Steve, olie and Erik.

If only I could turn back time and not take it to Glenora marina. If I couldn't turn it back far enough to not buy it that is lol

banner ad
banner ad