Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 12:26 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Electric motor help
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 am 
Walleye Master

Hey guys....my electric motor is acting funny, and was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere I could take it to get it fixed. It's a MotorGuide 55. I live in Oshawa, so somewhere out this way would be nice, but will travel if I have to.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Electric motor help
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:32 am 
Walleye Fry

rockys in orrillia sorry don't know the number

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

Thought I had a problem with my wireless 55, called the boat warehouse where I had bought the boat, they gave me the name of the shop that did local warranty and nonwarranty repairs on electric motors because most boat sales do not repair or service the electric. Try calling the local boat dealer in your area and see who they use.
If yours is wireless the operators Manuel tells how to reset the software in the Motörhead
Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 pm 
Walleye Master

Always hopeful wrote:
Thought I had a problem with my wireless 55, called the boat warehouse where I had bought the boat, they gave me the name of the shop that did local warranty and nonwarranty repairs on electric motors because most boat sales do not repair or service the electric. Try calling the local boat dealer in your area and see who they use.
If yours is wireless the operators Manuel tells how to reset the software in the Motörhead
Cheers

Thanks Always hopeful....I've done the reset thing before, because I had to replace the origional pedal with a new one, and you have to program the new one (if we're talking about the same thing) I can't even plug it in to reset it, because as soon as I plug it in, it starts doing the "exorsist" and the head spins around by itself. The only way to stop it is to unplug it. I'll try calling a local dealer on Monday.

Thanks again

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

My system was doing the same thing, right turn only. I have the wireless system and the foot peddle control battery was going. I replaced the battery and plugged the motor in and pressed the foot peddle buttons that wiped the motor heads memory clean, the right turn quit and then I used the foot pedal pad to reprogram the motor. Paid a extra $200.00 to go wireless and not sure it was worth it. Never owned a hard wired system so I have nothing to compare to. Nice part is when trolling I can aim the electric motor stright forward and set my speed while sitting in the drivers seat while using the main motor as a rudder to steer the boat.
Good luck with your system
Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:36 am 
Walleye Master

Was the the motor spinning right while you were pressing the foot pedal buttons to erase the memory??? As soon as I plug it in, it starts spinning. I don't even have a chance to press the buttons. Also, I completly unhooked the battery, and changed the battery in the pedal before I tried this.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:19 am 
Walleye Angler

As soon as I pluged the motor ii it would start to turn right, by pressing buttons on the wireless foot pad the motor memory was wiped out. I had tried to use the program buttons on the foot pad so the motor would reset its own program, but the motor would not reset and kept turning right. I had to remove the software program first, once the slate was cleaned i could use the use the footpad to reset the motor head. Seems like the foot pad has to tell the motor which model it is.
Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:27 am 
Walleye Angler

Yours sounds more persistent then my problem, if the reset did not wipe the slate clean and it kept turning, then I am pretty sure that u have a right turn set of contacts stuck. You are really going to need a good set of electrical prints to locate the contacts.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:17 pm 
Walleye Master

I spoke with a Minn Kota/Motorguide service place today, and they said most likely the circuit board is gone. Erasing the memory only eliminates that device (foot pedal, hand remote) as the unit will hold up to 4 different pedals. You're not actually resetting the motor, you're just removing that pedal from the memory. When you press the buttons on the pedal to "re-activate" you're just adding the pedal back into the memory.
It says the same thing in the manual.
Anyhow, a new circuit board installed is worth about $400

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:24 pm 
Walleye Angler

When I bought my boat a paid extra for a 7 year extended warranty on my main motor, a merc, this also covers any thing that connects to the motor and/or propels the boat including the electric motor. Any chance u have that situ, $400 bucks is a big price tag, how old is this electric

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:37 pm 
Walleye Master

This is my 7th year with the motor. I didn't buy the extended warranty. $400 is a lot of money. Maybe time to upgrade..lol
If yours is still under warranty you might want to bring it in. Pretty good chance it's going to happen again.
The spinning head happened to me about 3 months ago for the first time, then I was told to buy a new pedal. I bought the new pedal, and everything has been fine up till now. It happened again last weekend. It had nothing to do with the pedal as far as I'm concerened.

Good Luck!!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

I got almost 6 years of warranty left, I don't buy a thing, it runs till it don't run no more then the warranty can cover the repair bill. Go in to early and it would be preventative maintenance which I would have to pay for.
Cheers

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:24 pm 
Walleye Master

It's not really preventative maintenance, if it's already happened. According to the guy at the shop, it was already broken the 1st time it happened, and the new pedal was a temporary fix, as it happened again shortly after.
Also, just wondering how much the extended warranty cost? Just for future reference for myself. Basically, buying an extended warranty is like paying for a breakdown in advance. You're still paying for it one way or another. Hopefully if something breaks down, it's huge, so you get your $$$ worth. If it was only a couple hundred bucks, then I would say it's well worth it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:50 am 
Walleye

I have gone through this with both a 45 & 55lb thrust, each time the circuit board had to be replaced among other things. Luckily, I had the issues while still under warranty. One last thing to try before making a move is to switch out the inline trolling motor fuse at the positive terminal. It should be 40 or 50 amp fuse or breaker, preferably 50 for a 55lb. I have had funny issues with each motor at mid life which was corrected with a fresh fuse. If it does not work, well there is no harm having a back up fuse as they are expensive.

The local fix it/warranty shop for these is:

Aikman A Sporting Goods Repair
3010 Novar, Mississauga, ON
(905) 277-3595

banner ad
banner ad