Does color seem to make a difference? :|

Post subject: Re: color
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:23 am 
Walleye Fry

AFTER 30 YRS YOU SHOULD KNOW THE ANSWER. YES

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:40 am 
Walleye Master

If you are talking about a worm harness....I would say blade size and shape would be more important. Then color.

Post subject: color
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 pm 
Walleye Catcher

I'd say size and shape have no effect it's all color you need to find the right color of blade for the water clarity and the amount of sun for the day you are fishing. If you looking for good quality harnesses check out the big eyes custom ones that you can get at Pro Tackle.

http://www.protacklemuskyshop.com/demo/cataloguetackle.php?td=brand&idd=117&display=Big%20Eye%20Custom%20lures

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:03 am 
Walleye Master

Colour can be useful when spelled correctly...:)

As chugbug said, Big Eye Custom Lures work mint in the area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:29 pm 
Walleye Master

ChugBug262 wrote:
I'd say size and shape have no effect it's all color you need to find the right color of blade for the water clarity and the amount of sun for the day you are fishing. If you looking for good quality harnesses check out the big eyes custom ones that you can get at Pro Tackle.

http://www.protacklemuskyshop.com/demo/cataloguetackle.php?td=brand&idd=117&display=Big%20Eye%20Custom%20lures

I guess everybody will have different opinions on this, but from articles I've read, and videos I've watched from the "Pro's" the fish is attracted to the lure from the vibration and flash the blades give off. They say this is more important than colour. Different blades give off different vibrations. (colorado, willow leaf, indiana....etc) Unfortunately most bait shops don't have a lot of variety in harnesses, and you get stuck in the rut of using the same style all the time because you may have caught fish on them before with the "Lucky colour"
It's always good to experiment, especially when you have 2-3 people trolling in your boat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:55 pm 
Walleye Master

Also, I would say this theory would have the same effect on a crankbait. All different lure makers pretty much use the same colour patterns, but every lure has a different action. Rapala one day, Reef Runner the next CC, Jackall, Storm etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:14 pm 
Walleye Fry

ChugBug262 wrote:

Would anyone elaborate on the right colour for the right time? What would be best on super sunny days or days with heavy overcast? Here in the Bay?

Thanks this is interesting. I came here from living and fishing in Peterborough for years and discovered within the first few times being out that none of my tricks and or go to baits barely worked here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:30 pm 
Walleye Master

In my opinion, I don't think the sky has anything to do with colour selection. Water clarity....YES!!! A dark sky may trigger feeding for some some fish, while a bright, sunny sky may put fish in different locations. For crankbaits in clear water...Match the Hatch...Perch, Bluegill, Shad etc.. Stained water...brighter colours. For a worm harness, I don't think colour matters too much. I only ever use 2 different colours, and they seem to work just fine.
That being said, I have caught Walleye on Quinte with a crankbait that had pink and purple polka dots...lol

My 2 cents

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 am 
Walleye Catcher

No doubt size and shape as well as colour and speed are all important, like fly fishing you have to "match the hatch"if the fish want minnow profile and you are fishing shad profile you won't do as well . In my opinion depth is critical as well. Recently fishing the Ducks with my buddy (fishing in his own boat) I boated 11 walley in a 4 hour span to his 1, the fish were there at a specific depth contour at a certain speed and particular minnow bait. He was fishing the shad lures off the contour at a different speed......that's the thing about fishing, it's a clean slate everyday and you have to build a pattern. One thing about colour is that if everyone is using the same, guess what colour the fish are going to be caught on?....I will say I got turned on to a colour a couple of years ago by Italo that has worked in Quinte, Erie and Lake O and it is the "Hot Chub"colour on the Taildancers, I have painted a bunch of lures this colour and it works.....then again what do I know

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:06 am 
Walleye Angler

I am not a big believer in colour, its a consideration but as other have said I think it gets in line behind, depth,size,speed and shape. What I focus on in colour selection is the vary basic differences in colour so light vs dark, natural vs gaudy that sort of thing. So if Iam throwing stick worms I will have some green pumpkin (natural) and maybe a pink (gaudy) for jig and grub I will carry a grey smoke (natural) and a chartreuse (gaudy) and I will alternate between those to see what the fish want on a particluar day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:04 am 
Minnow

I remember a few years back. We were fishing Hay bay for LM, we tried a bunch of different lures but everything settled on white Spinners with white blades. One large blade and one small blade. Other colours just didnt produce as money fish or the size of fish that the white did. It could have been the exact same spinner but in black or red or chartreuse, none of the produced like the white.

However since then the white spinners have died off. There was just something about that year. White dominated.

One evening down there my buddy and I had 10 bass 1 pike and 1 dog fish in an hour. Both using white spinners. :) Man those were the days. :) Haven't had a year like that one since.

So ya, I think colour matters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:36 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Copper when theres clouds, Silver when theres sun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 am 
Walleye Angler

I attended a club meeting of the Avid Anglers who had a guest speaker with a major development of fish behaviour.
Specifically.. the target of the seminar was off bass and it's behaviour.
The guest speaker was Bruce Tufts, a noted Queens Prof and fish biologist who is currently carrying out a unique study on bass.
The topic was bass and how this fish functions down to the basic biologic function.
His studies has revealed that "COLOUR MEANS LITTLE !!", shape and size plus action are the triggers!!!
This may disturb a lot of anglers, as we are of the "match the hatch kinda fisherman" but his presentation was of not only of conversation but of video of his findings and "very informative".
The study is on-going and all major T's have him present and a tagging program is in effect to try and further tract and understand the fish and how it functions.
How colour effects other species is another question as the study he is currently immersed is primarily of bass.
If you happen to catch a tagged fish be sure to report it as to where you have caught it and the numbers that are on the tag.
If there are questions about bass direct them to Bruce I'm sure he will answer with what you need to know.
Yeah.... blew a lot of my theories too!!

Pro Staff- Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Canadian Rep/Distributor Larry The Lizard Custom Baits
Pros Staff- Woo Tungston
Pro Staff- Liquid Mayhem
Pro Staff- Gino's Pizza & Spahgetti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:18 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Lar....Bruce puts on a great seminar, I do think colour is important but not in the top priority as shape,speed action and depth as you mentioned.

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad