Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rice Lake advice
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:49 am 
Walleye Angler

Just wondering if there's any experienced Rice Lake advice on the forum in respects to lures, time of day for particular species , etc as I will be fishing that area more at Golden Beach Resort.

Post subject: Re: Rice Lake advice
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:45 am 
Walleye Angler

well I have had limited success for walleye in the couple trips I have made there. Obviously the lake has huge potential, I never got a chance to really explore it because both years we were there we experienced some pretty wicked weather so half our time was spent in the cabin or close by the lodge.
I fished it in the past on opener so I suspect this time of year it will be a giant mat of weeds so if you like dunking and ripping bucktails for walleye and bass you will be in paradise. If you like jigging or trolling its a little tougher to find the weed edges, if you look for the marker bouys for the trent waterway it will give you an idea where the deeper open water is, and by deep I mean 18-24fow I think the lake maxes out at a depth of 27ft. At dusk the bouys by Tick island produce good numbers of walleye, also had some luck on the back (west) side of Tick island throwing stickbaits and swimming a jig/grub at dusk. Again a very limited sample size but most of my walleye came on a 1/8oz jig with a 3" smoke salt&pepper Kalins grub.

Last edited by jjz on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks for the advice ! We just got a waterfront cottager so looking forward to heading out early morning in the kayak hunting some game . I am relatively close to tick island as well !

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 am 
Walleye

If the weather is good,fish the old railway line ,all the way across from Tick to the north shore ,flip the docks for largies,mouth of the Idian river for Crappy and outside weed edges for the Walleye,rip jiggin!!!Good Luck!! :wink:

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:34 pm 
Walleye Master

Also had good luck casting weed lines with chart worm harnesses or spinners

https://kingstonsportfishing.ca/

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 am 
Guppy

I used to fish Rice lake 4 or 5 times a week , always had great luck fishing around Black Island on the south side of it , during the day it was small mouth , and at night pickeral in the 2-3 lb range with the odd 4-5 lbs . Or we had good luck fishing sheep island on the north side for small mouth and on the south side we caught quite a few large mouth . We also use to fish just west of the main entrance to the Otonbee River , to the west is another entrance to the Otonabee that is not used by bigger boats , during the day we would catch large mouth , crappie , perch , ect ect and on a nice still night with surface lures the muskie's came alive. Then we also would just find a spot on the Otonabee , tie up to a tree or drop the anchor near the shore and drop a minnow or leach over the edge of the boat and sit and wait , pulled some nice large mouth and small mouth doing this , we would also go up the edge of the Otonabee casting into shore , pulling out large mouth . There is also some bays and back swampy area's , but you can only get into them with a small aluminum boat and motor .

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I'm 2 for 2 now in tourneys on rice and just use bucktails and harnesses. If your out of golden beach head north to drift the weed line out from tic island headed towards Hiawatha. Fish deep 17-21 fow

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 am 
Walleye Wisdom

And that's for eyes sorry. For bass fish the deeper cribs and humps. Everyone and their brother is fishing shore structure. Stay deeper and it will pay off

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:41 pm 
Walleye Angler

Fantastic tips folks, thanks ! I appreciate !

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:54 pm 
Walleye Master

I just spent 4 days last week fishing Rice. The first 2 days, we were targeting bass, and didn't have much luck. I switched the rods over to walleye gear, and on the 3rd day we got into them. I drifted over a spot in about 25-29 FOW, and my sonar lit up like Christmas tree. We ended up with 6 eyes in about 2 hours, with the biggest being 5 pounds, and 2 others were over the slot. We went back out in the morning, and the fish were still there, but would not bite.
If you're marking fish on the bottom in deep water, get a bouncer/harness down there!!!
Also, we caught a s**t load of Crappies too in the deep water.

Good Luck!!

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:05 am 
Walleye Angler

I fish Rice all the time and weedlines in 8-12 feet and some of Big Jim's bucktails are all you need....

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:38 am 
Guppy

If you are looking for walleye just rip bucktails in behind sugar island (from the island to about 1km back). You will boat a fair share!

banner ad
banner ad