Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:00 am 
Goby

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any luck on this opener weekend? I will be heading to Hay Bay on Thursday the 12th and am very excited to do so. Any information of where some catches were made would be a great help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:40 pm 
Guppy

Lauched from the pig farm in the wee hours on Saturday Morning and discovered many boats have launched already. Fished Ram Is, North Shore by Baview and Blakewood, and the the whole flats. All we caught was Pike :x We tried every possible walleye presentation from Uzick type harness, raps, hair jigs and bottom bouncin.
Talked to many many boats and they said the same thing that the openers was very slow and the majority of them was skunked even the local guys that I usually see on the bay and live right there said the same thing....
The MNR didn't have to remove the slots because we didn't catch any eyes anyways... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:10 pm 
Goby

Thanks BobC. Hopefully things will change by Thursday.

Anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:34 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Thought I would post our weekend report. Put in at Bass Cove about 1:00AM saturday morning,fished shallow end of the bay for a few hours, then worked our way trolling and running with a bit of jigging thrown in up to Deseronto. Got off the water about 2:00 PM that afternoon, having landed a grand total of 1 small perch and 2 gobies(poor gobies, that live release we usually practice just didn't seem to work at all in their cases lol).
Headed back out about 6:00PM that evening, started trolling right away in 7ft of water and hooked into a 5lb pike, he looked like he just barely had won a battle with a boat prop but still gave a worthy battle. Just 15 minutes later, fought a 23" walleye,and he had a set of shoulders on him I'll tell ya, I figured he was a lot bigger then he ended up being.Both were caught on a Black Fury tipped with a nightcrawler. Things were starting to heat up,so we thought, but we were wrong. That was the end of the action for our boat.
We stayed shallow for an hour or so longer, then headed out to the deep water to hunt for suspended fish clearing Dodge, but didn't mark too many, just the odd straggler. Also had some idiot blow by us out in the big water near the Essroc ship around 11:00PM with no running lights,kinda glad we heard him first.
We called it a night about 2:00AM ,so we ended up with one walleye, which we released for about 42 man-hours of fishing.
All in all, we had a great time on the water, it was a great weekend except for the east wind, and the Northern Light show was quite spectacular saturday night as well.
Thanks, John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:44 am 
Guppy

Any more reports or are we tight lipped here :?: Thanks for the report johnjyb...at least you did better than us. I should have sticked with pike fishing in the end of Hay Bay there....it looked good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:21 am 
Walleye Catcher

Friday midnight. Lines in the water, My cousin came down to get a fish in before he went for a turkey hunt SAt AM. Trolled, Jigged etc till 3:30, 1 bite. Dropped him off at the dock and Jay and I got out at 5:00 2 perch. Fished till 11:00 no walleye in the boat. Decided it was not ment to be so we went home for a nap. Got out Sunday AM for 2 hours. 1 bite. nothing in the boat. Oh well, Getting Ready for Opening next weekend up north. Look out Mattawa here we come. Hope you guys did better.
Sheldon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:28 am 
Perch

3 guys 2 catfish,1 small pike, 1 rock bass.
BUT a beautiful time was had by all.
And a great breakfast at Pickeral Park Sat morning!

Post subject: opener report
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:09 am 
Guppy

Took my 'Swamp Fox" canoe out Saturday AM (12.30) and fished under the Bay Bridge by Rossmore and a bit east towards Cow Island. Used live bait (minnows/worms) primarily. Quite a few boats and shore fishermen for that time of night. Only things caught and released in a few hours were about a dozen large rock bass. Went over to the weigh-in station AM and talked to a guy who fished off the Herchimer Ave. Boat launch towards Snake Island and landed a 10.6 lb eye. He was using a Rapala but didn't mention depth but caught it early moring (7 AM-ish). Must have had light tackle as it broke his rod - beautiful fish and it will be released! MOst of the large fish seemed to be coming from Picton area. I fished around the mouth of the Moira Saturday but only got small perch. Then went on a 'round the bay paddle' to Cows Is. and in behind it in the shallow bay there, along the entire Bridge and back to the Moira mouth. Saw some large jumbo perch following my perch immitation crankbait but at that time I was fishing for the large eyes or pike having been motivated by the large ones I saw at he weigh-in station. No such luck. Finally, Sunday morning a bit <7AM went out and around Snake Island and the sheltered bays near the old plastics factory. Talked to a few boats and it was mostly 1 lone small walleye or the odd pike or nothing! Sunday definitely seemed slow. I hit into a large school of perch near the breakwall/point on the north-west side of the plastics factory and thought there would be some cruising pike there but no such luck. With my stealth-like profile of the canoe and the clarity of the shallow waters I saw some HUGE freshwater drums/sheepshead and a threesome of very large channel cat cruising the shallows, along with some other very large fish that were probably carp - couldn't tell. Finally, on the way home Sunday night couldn't resist trying the Trent River. It is barely flowing and only a few boats out - nothing caught although I did have one bite on a worm and jig bouncer. All-in-all a nice weekend weather-wise but poor fishing results for the Bay I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:04 am 
Goby

3 of us put in at Deseronto and fished the rver just east of town by the cottages with many others until about 7:30 AM, no fish, none marked. We went towards Hay bay, maybe half way there, and stopped to troll. we marked lots of fish and switched to lead heads/worms and caught over 40 'eyes from 8:00 Am to 2:00Pm. The 2 boys that were with me had a riot! One caught his personal best, 20" ( our biggest ) All were males, smallish avg. 15". It reminded me of the old days.Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:09 am 
Goby

Report from Bellville area.

Launched Sat 4:30 am at the public launch right in the town, There were lots of boats already out.

Headed over to the river mouth to see the action there but it looked choked full so headed to under the bay bridge, After a few trolls ended up with a small Sheep's head.

Marked a lot of fish of decent size but nothing seemed to entice them to bite.

Trolled over to the Massassaga point picked ups a few more perch and one really small walleye.

Packed it in at 11am.

Went out at 5pm till 11pm, nothing but perch. Tried the river, and under the bridge marked a few fish bigger than perch but they would not hit.

Went out again at 5:30am, nothing again but perch.

Really tough fishing, everyone I spoke too were having similar experience.

Tried, Erie dearies, Crank baits, and jigs, Nothing worked.

Overall the weather was excellent, people friendly, a few people that really should not own boats..

Driving at night full speed with no lights!!!, Driving a full speed at night in the river..

One person has some boat issues, and the fire department rescue unit had to go get him, Not sure if the boat sank or he fell overboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:50 am 
Walleye

WOW! green53

That was a great day for you. Especially concidering I talked to a ton of boats on Saturday and only 2 of them mentioned catching anything.

You must have been on a feeding school :)

congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:22 pm 
Walleye Angler

caught one rock bass at myers pier. Just glad I caught something, even if not a walleye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:16 pm 
Perch

I agree it was another quiet opening weekend as many of them are. We fished 15 hours from 12am Sat to 2 pm Sunday and I caught a 6.6 lb and a 5.4 lb which I was surprised to find out I could keep the fish for supper. The other 2 in my boat got squat and Jimbo got 2 Friday night in his boat. We fished everything from worms, minnows, crankbaits, bottom bouncers, planer boards, snap weights, casting, trolling, jigging, you name it and caught them trolling HJ at night. A great weekend whether wise and Kevin, Jen and Ty took well care of us as always at Merlands and many thanks again. The MTO guys said the water was still a little cold but IMO I think they're back in Lake Ontario by now. Not a lot of big fish being caught and I have never seen as many dead floating fish in all the years I've been fishing here, what's with that? A great time by all and it was worth every minute of it. Congrats to my buddy Michal who's 12 year old boy caught a 11.3 lb and took 2nd place in the junoir category. It was the biggest fish for most of the weekend and I can't believe he got beat by a 12.7 in the juniors. Strange how the junior category out fished the Senior's this year. I'll be back out soon. Patio.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:08 pm 
Baitfish

i saw that as well does that mean that the boat goes to the junior? after all it was the biggest eye caught this week end???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:18 pm 
Minnow

launched at mcfarlan's at 5:30am fished til 5pm. nothing but a goby and perch.
did anyone try east of the ferry?

Hooked up

banner ad