Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:22 am
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:23 pm 
Walleye Master

As many of you may know, I have been writing about my fishing adventures over the last six months while working in Brazil. But ever since I first learned I would be staying here, I have had my eyes on one prize. A peacock bass.
As I am not in an area well known for them it turned out to be more difficult than I had planned. I spent the last 6 months trying to figure a way to get one. I have driven through mountains and swamps and edges of lakes in places I probably shouldn't have been as stories of fishermen being robbed and shot were many.

Attachment:
car.jpg

The closest I got was seeing one caught by a guide I hired. He enjoyed sitting up at the front of the boat and casting every hole first and showing me how to catch one. No there was nothing I could do. Welcome to Brazil.
As I came to find out, it is winter here now and much like our bass, they go almost dormant and become very difficult to catch. Still I pressed on. I finally arranged a trip to go further north to the warmer waters to a well known lake with one of the people I went on the ocean trip with earlier this year.
I talked one of my co-workers into going along and after driving through the night, we arrived at a small fishing resort. We had breakfast made for us shortly after we arrived and a few coffee to wake us up after the long trip.

Attachment:
peacock table.jpg

Standing on the dock while putting the boat in I could see small peacock bass swimming in close. Now I felt my perseverance was going to pay off and we were ready to go.

Attachment:
readytogo.jpg

We started out with top water but were not getting anything to rise so we switched to small Brazilian made jerk baits. Chartuese and red&white was the colour recommended to use. And fish them hard and fast.
After a while, I switched over to a perch Rapala clackin rap. My Brazillian friend quickly pointed out my lure was no good and "gringo's" don't know how to fish. Bad move on his part. I let it sink and ripped it back to the boat. It wasn't long before I finally had my first peacock bass!

Attachment:
first one.jpg

Attachment:
first 1_2.jpg

The Brazillian was quick to come back and pointed out how his was 1 cm bigger than mine.

Attachment:
Leanardo's.jpg

So what else could a true red blooded Canadian Gringo do but get the biggest one of the trip. And be quick to point out "Cannibals" don't know how to fish.

Attachment:
second one.jpg

Attachment:
second one_2.jpg

My co-worker got in the action, but he became known as the piranha King.

Attachment:
Nazir piranha.jpg

We had many laughs, saw many cool things and caught a few more smaller ones.

Attachment:
cows.jpg

Attachment:
eagle.jpg

Attachment:
third one.jpg

We found a tilapia still alive with half its tail chewed off from piranhas. And the piranha King's hooks ended up buried appropriately in my middle finger from one particularly tenacious one. It was the end of he day anyway so we headed back with the hook still buried deep. Once back, everyone was quick to offer their expert ideas on how to slice and dice MY finger to get it out. Finally I took a nice shot of rum and a quick yank with a pair of pliars was all that was needed.

Next day we caught a few more small ones and yeah, my friend and I did go swimming in the lake. The Cannibal thought we were crazy but only because the water was "ice" cold. It was 24 degrees...

After all was said and done, we had to head back. I must admit, I contemplated becoming lost in some unknown remote area of Brazil never to be seen again. But reality kicked in and away we went.
We stopped at the local town on the way out to see some of the sites.

This will be my last fishing trip in Brazil and I will be heading home soon. I can not wait to get back, but all my fishing trips I have had here will certainly never be forgotten.

I hope you enjoyed reading about my Adventures in Brazil.

Attachment:
statue bass.jpg

Attachment:
bass phone.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Another outstanding report. Man they do worship the peacock bass down there. Luv the pics and am very envious of your travels. Thanks for sharing

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:24 am 
Walleye

looks like a perch/bass hybrid, cool fish!

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:28 pm 
Walleye Master

They fight similar to a smallmouth only they make longer and faster runs. I'd give them 125% compared to a smallie.The biggest one only jumped once, but like the Cannibal said, it's winter and they aren't as active. Everyone had stories of their aggressive top water action and jumping abilities during the summer.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:17 am 
Walleye Master

Nice!!

[b][color=#00BFFF]Radioworld[/color
Proud Member Of CLOSA
Proud Member of LOTSA
MC Rockets
Atommik Tournament Flies
ITO Flies

The World is all about ass, you either kick it or lick it

banner ad