Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:29 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: Shore fishermen
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:51 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

So I was out in the boat fishing today in port Hope, and when I came in there were allot of people fishing from shore. While coming in the channel towards the boat launch I hooked 4 people's line, and pulled 1 guys pole right in the water. What the hell is wrong with these people??? Reel your pole in, if there is a boat coming in!!!!!!! The guy who's pole I pulled in the water started yelling at me in some foreign language I couldn't understand. Wtf is wrong with these idiots?? I guess I am suppose to wait at the mouth and wait till there finished fishing before I can come dock my boat. The guy is lucky my wife and buddies wife was with me otherwise he would be in the water with his pole!!! Anyone else ever have this happen?? What am I suppose to do ask everyone to reel there poles in??? Probably 80% of the people reeled there poles In but there is always a couple morons out there!!

Post subject: Re: Shore fishermen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:24 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I was there yesterday too. I found some of them even left their poles unattended with the line in the water. That'd do alot of good if a salmon bit.. Going out there was a couple that didn't reel in where you cut across to go around the buoys. I yelled at them I have to go across and just went. I just trim up and whatever happens happens if they are that stupid. Like you said most are good and I try and stay clear as much as I can but there is only so much room there.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:28 am 
Walleye Wisdom

That's the problem they cast out right accross the channel and leave it there, and go sit in there tent or go BBQ. Allot of good that will do when 1 grabs a hold of it! I was fuming when the guy started yelling at me, but I kept it together lol

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:45 am 
Walleye Wisdom

He was probably just telling you he liked your boat and thank you for getting rid of his old fishing pole. lol.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:13 am 
Walleye

It is getting to that time of year when the shore fisher people mix with the boaters. I would love to fish the big lake in late August, but I cannot be bothered with all the people. I have the same issue in the summer...when you are fishing right in the marked boating channel have the respect to bring your line in, the boaters have no other place to go. If you can move the boat it is nice but most of the time you cannot.

Hopefully you did not end up with any damage to your boat. I am sure that braid wrapped around your prop is not the best thing.

I will see you out of Port Hope in the Spring. Rigger are nicely stowed, waiting for the walleye to start showing up in the Bay.
See you in October!

banner ad
 Post subject: Shore fishermen
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:31 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I love watching the carneys fish port hope this time of year lol. I'm surprised no one has lost it down there yet.

banner ad
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:24 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Leaving the rods unattended reminds me of the time way back when (probably 40 years) when I had just given a customer a brand new custom rod I had made him, we were out on the pier and he cast out a spawn bag and set the rod down.Now the fishing had been slow with maybe 5 fish between 25 guys, no sooner did he turn his back than a bow grabbed the bag and took off. Now this particular gent was a mail man so he wasn't the fastest guy around but damn did he run for this rod dragging across the pier...well he didn't make it and in it went, well we were rolling around on the pier laughing (much to his displeasure) and when we were done we all put on huge Flatfish and amazingly one of the guys got it..it was fun

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Admin

rtkman wrote:
He was probably just telling you he liked your boat and thank you for getting rid of his old fishing pole. lol.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 am 
Walleye Angler

Port Hope is the biggest joke i've ever seen, went there once last year, and lets just say, thank god they had a washroom there with sh*t tickets!! I will never be back at that place again.
The shorelines are rammed with meat hunters looking for some good black chinnies chaulk full of mercury and other toxins.

The area is so narrow for boaters to go past, its no wonder lines get tangled up in props.... I'd say watch out for your prop!!!
Not worth it.

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:20 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

most locals, do not go there... it is a supermarket for the foreigners (weight, snag, repeat)..... sad to say the Ganny is no longer local..... the problem is when when people fishing the inlet do not follow our laws.... We are not in Kazakhstan anymore... too bad we do not have the resources to stem the flood of BS that goes on down there.

Sad to say the least...

G

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:29 pm 
Walleye

Leaving the rods unattended reminds me of the time way back when (probably 40 years) when I had just given a customer a brand new custom rod I had made him, we were out on the pier and he cast out a spawn bag and set the rod down.Now the fishing had been slow with maybe 5 fish between 25 guys, no sooner did he turn his back than a bow grabbed the bag and took off. Now this particular gent was a mail man so he wasn't the fastest guy around but damn did he run for this rod dragging across the pier...well he didn't make it and in it went, well we were rolling around on the pier laughing (much to his displeasure) and when we were done we all put on huge Flatfish and amazingly one of the guys got it..it was fun
would that be the same pier that I caught that huge steelie many thanksgivings ago and poor you still have not been able to land one close to it.....just asking is all..lmao

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:31 pm 
Walleye Catcher

Well 9 iron...your off your meds again eh

www.limestonecityfishingcharters.com
YouTube Jim Lyon Fishing

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:55 pm 
Walleye

lol... I was down in the rec room admiring that beauty lol... salmon are in heavy jim.. already lifted over 1600 at the goodyear dam..i got a huge female last tues.. down near the mouth of Oshawa..they were hitting flys below a float but for every legal hooked fish I prolly had the hook in 3 others in a fin or side.. broke off or pulled out mayby 20 fish for the morn..landed and released about 8 or 9 fair hooked , and the weasel has already called looking for skein ..I think he fished today..they are backed way down to howies place..stacked up in every deep run..

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:13 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

You can't blow the horn for every guy in port hope there is 100 people there! I agree though. If someone has a fish on of course any good sportsman would respect that and give him time and space. People actually run their boats back and forth in front of you? I've never seen this. I'd be chuckin rocks :) In my experience being a boat fisherman/ kayak fisherman and sometimes a shore fisherman I've found there are dicks in every type of activity near or on the water. I just treat others as I want to be treated and hope the next guy does the same. Usually they do. Sometimes they don't. I try not to let it ruin my day.

banner ad
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02 pm 
Walleye Master

This topic really pees me off!!! I fish out of a boat most of the time, but at certain times of the year I also fish from shore. The spot where I fish from shore is a public boat launch. When my lines are in the water, and I see a boat trying to come in or go out, I pull my lines in. IMO the boat has the Right of Way at a public boat launch. I can't believe how ignorant some people are when they see a boat coming in, or out, and won't pull their lines in. They just stand there and look at you with a stupid look on their face, like you shouldn't be there.
If someone is fighting a fish at the time, maybe a different story, but other than that, don't be a DICK!!!
I used to be polite and ask them kindly if they could pull their lines in while I remove my boat, but not anymore.....now I just run them over!!!!!!

banner ad
banner ad