Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:23 am 
Minnow

To those of you who were at the meeting on Sept 3rd (and those looking to join the upcoming Quinte Bassmasters) the next meeting will be held at the Astra Lounge (Upstairs in the JR Ranks Mess on the base) at 7:00pm.

We are still looking for Exec positions to be filled so please let me know if you're interested.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

I've been getting so many messages about this 'Keegan guy' trying to stir the pot that I need to chime in. Lol. I doubt you are trying to upset people, you probably just don't know .... The Quinte Bass Anglers fishing club began 13 years ago with the name The Quinte Bassmasters. The name changed a few years ago because that's what the membership decided. Many of us still proudly have hats, shirts, bumper stickers, avatars, etc with the original name. Our club has built a fantastic reputation in the region. Over the years we have supported a wealth of conservation and youth related causes. We support Queen's University fishery research, the Belleville Cops and Kids fishing day, and the Frink outdoor Education centre in Plainfield. We are host to one of the premier events in the Province, the Quinte Bass Champs, and currently, plans are in the works to set up a conservation scholarship fund for Quinte area high schools. We host the federation cup, have an awesome weekend getaway every year, run a fun low cost friendly tournament series and cap it off with an awards night with an amazing prize table. We have some major guest speakers at meetings and have sent two anglers to TBF regionals in the last few years. It wouldn't be fair to lay claim to both names I suppose, but you can see how some might interpret your intentions to use our old name to take advantage of the reputation that it carries. I'm sure that is not the case. 8 Wing Bassmasters comes to mind.

Anyway, now you know. Best of luck. Maybe I'll come out to a meeting and join up. No exec for me though, sorry, I've got too much on the go already. When is the meeting anyway. I see a time but I think you forgot the date? Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:04 am 
Walleye

I think it's great news that the "Quinte Bassmasters" is being stood up once again :!: :!:

As Kevin quite passionately stated, the "Quinte Bass Anglers" is a organization with deep roots in the Quinte region, with many accomplishments and a active membership - I quite enjoy the organization and camaraderie within the chapter. Their affiliation is with one of the two main bass organizations in North America - Forest L Wood (FLW) - in this case, their grass roots organization of "The Bass Federation" (TBF).

As most anglers know, "Bassmaster" is a competitive organization within the "Bass Anglers Sportsman Society" B.A.S.S. - within their organization as well is their grass roots affiliation organization namely being "B.A.S.S. Nation". This is where the old Quinte Bassmasters chapter fell under.

Both organizations offer everything from scholarships, club level events, insurances, and even opportunities to qualify for the respective national championships that they host annually - their super bowls of the sport. At the grassroots level, competitions are only a small portion of why they exist. Education and awareness of our sport and resource a key components as well.

I believe that re-igniting the Quinte Bassmasters chapter by name, which is still a registered chapter with the Bassmaster national organization, is solely meant to signify a regional association with a organization and nothing more than that (like Muskoka Bassmasters, Ottawa Valley Bassmasters, Eastern Ontario Bassmasters etc) . Naming it 8 Wing Bassmasters, as suggested, I think would imply that it is a military chapter rather than a regional chapter (my thoughts only).

OK, were all passionate about our sport - let's put it in hockey terms for those that are concerned simply over a name being used again: Ottawa Senators, Winnipeg Jets and Calgary Flames - all organizations that either left town or ceased operations all returned actively and successfully under their previous names. The same can be said when the Quinte Bassmasters moves ahead.

Both organizations can certainly co-exist in the region successfully - it is not a competition between clubs. In fact, I'm quite sure there will be many crossover members reinstating their memberships. As it is currently, many QBA anglers are currently maintaining dual memberships with other Bassmaster chapters in the province.

Hopefully those that are passionately defending the Quinte Bassmasters "name ownership" will show their support and join back and have their second membership with a re-born organization. Bring your enthusiasm over and spread your experiences to others.

What ever guys chose (or not), go with what your comfortable with - both are great organizations to be affiliated with.

Just my .05 cents opinion (because pennies don't count anymore) ........

Pepe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:12 am 
Guppy

Awesome post Pepe!

Sounds to me like a different name would make any hard feelings disappear? James is doing a great thing in starting up a new BASS club in the region, I am sure many TBF'ers are still BASS members and this gives them the chance to get back on the BASS roster and enjoy the benefits Pepe listed as a result.

I am looking forward to meeting the guys from the new club at next years qualifier!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:44 pm 
Minnow

I am certainly not trying to "stir the pot" or take any credit that the previous Quinte Bassmasters deserves. The name "Bassmasters" is registered to B.A.S.S and once our club becomes a chapter of OBN we will be the official "Quinte Bassmasters" as you guys will be the "Quinte Bass Anglers." I did -on the 8 Wing splash page, and Facebook- refer to the club as "Quinte Bass Anglers Club" and have since appologized both to emails I received and publicly on Facebook for using the name having not researched it's use as a club name... This is my first attempt at even joining a fishing club, so please understand that running one will be a bit of a learning curve for me and I would appreciate some comraderie instead of opposition, once again we're not trying to start a rivalry or steal anyones thunder, we're not gangsters we're just fishermen trying to get along...

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:48 pm 
Walleye Angler

One thing about the world of bass tournaments and clubs, that you are trying to enter, is that there is a ton of misinformation out there. So let me help... A club name that includes "anglers" or "bassmasters" has absolutely nothing to do with affiliation to a larger organization. There are plenty of clubs TBF\FLW affiliated clubs that use the term "bassmaster" and there are plenty BFN\B.A.S.S. Affiliated clubs that use "angler" in their name. Lots use those terms and have no affiliation. Just do a google search and see. Its a free country and a group can call themselves anything they want. Another clarification... The Quinte Bassmasters club established in 2001 did not disband like some defunct military unit as has been implied, it's members freely chose to simply rename slightly as The Quinte Bass Anglers. It is the same club with a slightly different name. Starting a new local fishing club is pretty cool, but calling it "Quinte Bassmasters" or "Quinte Bass Anglers" would be in very, very, poor taste, confusing, and would seriously upset a great many people and potential members. I can't possibly imagine a worse way to start up a club.

Come out to one of our meetings. There are lots of us with plenty of experience with all of this stuff. We would gladly help you out.

Kevin

PS- When is your group meeting? I see time and place, but still no date.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:11 am 
Minnow

I did not want to start an arguement, or any conflicts. I apologize for the date, it may too late to correct it but the meeting is tonight. As for the name, the club will vote on that. There should be no issue as we will never lay claim to anything the previous Quinte Bassmasters had done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:21 am 
Minnow

Bassmaster and Bassmaster Classic are registered trademarks of B.A.S.S. Inc./B.A.S.S. LLC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 am 
Minnow

As stated in the B.A.S.S Nation Club Letter of Authorization:
B.A.S.S., LLC ("B.A.S.S. or Licensor") is the owner of various trademarks and service marks including, among others, the "B.A.S.S." emblem (indicating membership in B.A.S.S.), "Bassmaster" (indicating membership in B.A.S.S.), and Bassmaster (for a magazine) (collectively, the "Licenced Trademarks"), which are registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Upon termination of your clubs letter of authorization you were to "discontinue all use of the Licenced Marks, including use of such marks as part of a trade name or organization name, and shall not thereafter use any trademark or service mark identical to, or confusingly similar to, the trademarks and service marks of B.A.S.S."

In reading the agreement your original club signed, as soon as you renamed and removed yourselves from OBN you forfieted your name, and the logo you are currently using as your avatar within 60 days...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

The bottom line is as club president, I am publicly expressing the sentiment of dozens of members of the Quinte Bass Anglers fishing club which is....

1. Pick a name that is unique and doesn't sound at all like ours.
2. Good luck

Last edited by Kevin Dorey on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:46 pm 
Minnow

It means the "Bassmaster" or anything confusingly similar (ie. "Bassmasters") is not to be used by anyone or any club not affiliated with B.A.S.S. and it is from the B.A.S.S Nation Club Letter of Authorization that the original "Quinte Bassmasters" signed in order to become affiliated with B.A.S.S. - Why would anyone care? Because it is a signed legal document...

Our club will most likely be a reinstated "Quinte Bassmasters" and again, that will be decided tonight.

Thank you for your support

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:28 pm 
Walleye Master

It seems to me the worst simularity in this issue is not the name Bass, or bass masters or bass angelers the real issue is the name Quinte in associeation to all other names this is a link thats stands out above all I would think since there is already a quinte guppy angelers associeation or what ever perhaps a new club would be best not to use Quinte. perhaps belleville bass or trenton bass or zone 20 bass masters would be a more fitting name for a new kid on the block.
I would never be the type to put down a new club or any club for that matter i think most sportsman should belong to a club of some sort or another (Thats just me) we all have a voice but i believe the voice of many carries more weight in the big picture. What i do find a little disturbing is why some look to form a new club ranter than to join one thats already up and running strong
By the way CLOSA ( central lake ontario sports angelers ) is always looking for a few good members and that club has been going since the mid 80"s . so get out there guys. support a club. any club I think any and all clubs out there could use a little help. Grizz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

I think Grizz nailed it right on the head....

The Quinte Bassmasters, which was founded by a core group of bass enthusiast's in 2000, Bryan Quincey, myself, Art McConnell, Kevin Dorey, Bill Smith, Bill Tripp, Bob Mackie, Roy Newlands and many others made up the original 6 members to start the chapter. the issue is not that an OBN Chapter is starting, it is simply that the vast majority of the members that got the club up and running 13 years ago as well as the many valued members that have joined since have been a part of the Quinte Bassmasters/Quinte Bass Anglers chapter for many years. Just because the chapter voted to change the affiliation and name a few years ago has not changed our history and what accomplishments we have made locally, provincially and nationally... Conservation awards, Youth events and Qualifier Hosting to name a few.

As a group we wish you all the best of luck, many of us will probably join as well, however to avoid some potential drama and possible confusion why not find a name that does not incorporate Quinte Bassmasters and the logo? I am not assuming that you intend to take it over of course, but with the amount of concern by our current membership we hope that it is not the intention. With all the work ahead of the new executive a name and logo is really a pretty small thing to work out in the long run. The fact that it is owned by BASS is really irrelevant, I know, I was the Vice-President the first two years of the Quinte Bassmasters, my signature is probably on a lot of the original documentation to start the chapter. Our decision to leave BASS was not taken lightly, but due to the OBFN leadership at that time we felt there were better options to pursue.

So, yes legally there is an opportunity to lay claim to a name of a club that basically still exists in body and with the same membership, but if a fresh start is coming then we hope your new chapter can forge new inroads and create it's own true identity, not one that confuses the two chapters.

Best of luck guys and I am looking forward to making a few meetings and seeing some new faces excited about bass fishing!!!

Colin Friel

Colin Friel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:29 pm 
Walleye

Quinte Bassmasters Version 2.0

:D :D

Look ............................... squirrel .................

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:37 pm 
Minnow

Those comments made a little more sense to me, I was intending on using the name as the club is on the roster site making it easier to keep... I will suggest "Quinte West Bassmasters"

banner ad