Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:45 am 
Walleye Angler

As some of you may or may not know the MNR has decided to continue with a cormorant cull at Presqu’ile Provincial Park later on this month. I’m sure all of us are completely in favor of this cull and believe it to be necessary to help restore the islands that the cormorant are damaging not to mention the amount of fish that the nuisance birds eat daily. Lou Rinaldi is the Liberal MPP who is in support of the cull, however you can bet that there are just as many folks out there that don’t support this cull and are going to be doing things to try and stop the shooting of the cormorants such as protesting at the entrance of Presqu’ile Park and emailing their local MPP to get it to stop. I’m asking everyone to get involved by sending a quick email to MPP Lou Rinaldi to thank him and/or ask him to continue to support this cull. Please do your part! Here is MPP Lou Rinaldi email:

rinaldi.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

Read full story about cull at: www.trentonian.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 12:54 pm 
Walleye

Shawn_303,

Thanks for posting this information. I have sent the following email:

Quote:
I would like thank you for supporting the Cormorant Cull. This is a very political issue (aren't they all) as it does involved killing these birds to control the pollution. As an avid outdoors man and fishing I can personal say I have seen the effects of these birds on the Ottawa River and St.Lawrence River. I just hope the cull will eventually be spread over the entire province to address this growing problem. Keep up the excellent work.

Feel free to use the quote.

UPDATE: Email bounced back

Cheers,

Mike

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:03 pm 
Walleye

I wasn't able to get out on the weekend and just got the boat out for a good shakedown run this afternoon. In the bay at Trenton in front of the old FBI is a beautiful little island that I believe is refered to as Ojay Island. The island is for sale and last year the bride and I walked around it commenting what a prefect location it would be for a retirement home. When checking with real estate about it we found that the price was beyond our range.

Well today on my shake down I took a spin around the island and you could not see the trees on the south side for cormorants. The large trees they are roosting in look to be dead already, they are almost completely covered in cormorant scat. In the matter of a month this spring (and possibly a few last fall) the cormorants have done severe damage to this side of the island. From what I've seen in other areas the island probably won't make the summer.

We are just beginning to return BOQ to the world class fishery it once was but if these pest are not controlled (better still eliminated) they will kill sport fishing on this beautiful body of water, and take away the tourist money that accompanies the sport.

Lastly to all you tree huggers that would protest at the gates during the cull, PM me and I'll gladly take you out to show you the devestation these birds can cause in a matter of weeks.

take the grandkids fishin

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:59 pm 
Walleye Fry

Here here!!! Couldn't agree with you anymore.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:09 am 
Walleye Angler

Email bounced back? Strange. Mininster of Natural Resources is David Ramsay, you could send the same email to him if the other is bouncing back. Sorry about that.

dramsay.mpp.newliskeard@liberal.ola.org

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:23 am 
Walleye Angler

And perhaps the worst part of this whole ordeal is that Canada Post has issued a stamp featuring the double crested cormorant to "celebrate" native birds in Canada. Of all the wonderful waterfowl, birds or prey, song birds, etc. we have in the country someone chose to put a cormorant on a stamp. Absolutley mind boggling...

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:24 pm 
Walleye Fingerling

Hi folks
There is no doubt I could be wrong on this, but I heard from one source that when these"native" cormorants were re-introduced to this area, they were not the same original species, but actually a sea-cormorant as opposed to the freshwater variety. Anyone have any input on this??
Thanks, John

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:41 am 
Walleye Angler

Double-crested cormorants began colonizing the Great Lakes in the early 1900s, peaking in the late `40s, then declining to low levels in the late `60s/early `70s as a result of the effects of DDT.
A ban on DDT use in the late `60s led to a recovery of cormorant numbers. By 1999, the number of nesting pairs of cormorants had increased nearly 400-fold since the DDT-induced lows of the late `60s/early `70s. Cormorant numbers are far higher now than ever before.

These facts come from the MNR site.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:35 pm 
Walleye Angler

my e-mail bounced back as well .

banner ad
 Post subject: Cormorants
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 5:51 pm 
Walleye Angler

I too have seen the devastation they create. to my knowledge the originated from europe. Thec can also eat a 12in bass. Lets get rid of them 8O

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:13 am 
Walleye Angler

The email address for Natural Resources Minister David Ramsay will not bounce as I got a confirmation back from his assistant letting me know that my email has been received.

banner ad
banner ad