Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: OPP Harassment
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:55 pm 
Guppy

After more then 30 consecutive visits to the Bay of Quinte area this last week will likely be my last. However to all other Quinte fishermen you can feel much safer now that the local OPP have fined me $130.00 for not having a $2.00 whistle and ordered me off the water until I had one. Yes its the law, but sometimes things get misplaced and lost and a simple warning would have been more appropiate in this case. The Sunday May 15th started with the MNR checking us before we had even put a lines in the water, then less then one hour later the OPP harassed and fined us. I feel this harassment is detrimental to the tourism in the Quinte area. The MNR just removed the slot size on walleye because of the negetive effect it had on the local economy only to have the OPP go out laying chicken *** charges. Most police work today is what I call positive cash flow policing; nailing the middle class for speeding, seatbelts minor boating violations etc. which brings in cash from fines. Meanwhile the murders, robberies, drive by shootings are on the rise; no cash generated from those types of arrests. Pissed off you bet but another community will benefit from the $1000.00+ our group spends on a fishing holiday next year. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:28 pm 
Walleye

I feel your pain as I too find them unreasonable at times. I never been fined as have things in proper order. My beef came last year when I was stopped three times within a week by the same OPP boat and personnel. I don't understand why they can't document that your boat has been checked. What are the numbers on your boat for sure not for looks I think it has come to almost harrassment. I would suggest though it wouldn't matter what Lake in Canada your probably going to get checked out. Last night they were on Howes Lake (near Verona) the only public access is through a small creek that I wouldn't put a 12 foot boat through. I guess it is okay though if your driving a boat paid by the taxpayers.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:37 pm 
Walleye Angler

So..if I come to Quinte I have to have a whistle in my boat? On the south side of the border we have to have a horn...will that meet the requirement? Can anyone send me to a website showing how my boat must be equipped if I cross the border?

Thanks, Daren

banner ad
 Post subject: Boating Safety Regs
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:26 pm 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

Daren,

Here's the site.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/equipment.htm

The regs state that a sounding-signalling device or a sound-signalling appliance is req'd.

Hay Bay / Kingston

Manufacturing UZICK Spinners for over 25 Years

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:55 am 
Walleye Angler

Thanks, Dave, guess i am covered then...thought maybe i had missed something about a whistle....how is the fishing? I havent been able to get out since opening weekend...hope to get out at least one day this weekend..

Tight Lines!

Daren

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:11 am 
Walleye Angler

When there are charges laid thats called enforcement not harrassment. I would think making you go back for it would have been enough, but with so many fishing at night on cold water the cops are getting tough on this .

If you tie a whistle to your pfd you will have it when you need it, should you ever find yourself in the water.

The story goes that the 2 survivors of a family of 5 said rescue boats past by them several times in the dark, if they'd had a whiste it would have saved them all.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:26 pm 
Guppy

Daren:
You can use a separate canister type air horn but the horn on you boat is not good enough. You need a rescue line that floats with a floating item on the end; ie: boat bumper and you need a waterproof flash light with good batteries. The flash light might help at night but I have my doubts is anyone in a power boat is going to hear a cheap plastic whistle. In my case it was noon when we were charged. And by the way it must be a pealess type whistle. My feeling is they want to justify the purchase of such a boat and paying 3 cops to ride around in a boat all day.

Jim

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:01 am 
Guppy

A cheap plastic whistle helped me in the middle of the afternoon on a remote lake when my motor died.I was yelling and shouting but the other boat in distance could not hear me,then I remembered there was a whistle in the safety pack,couple of whistles and they looked straight at us,saw our waving arms and came right over to tow us.it wasn't a life & death situation but it could have been for someone.I have a list of required safety equipment listed on a little card,I check on every launch and make sure I have it with me every time.a habit now and only takes a coupla minutes.That list is to save my butt, not a money grab for the govt.
and No,I do not belive its herassment.
I rather see more OPP and COs then poachers and drunk and ignorant boaters.just my 2 cents.
BTW:it is the law(past 3 years) that you must have your boat registeration onboard with you.failing to produce that could result in a fine of $350.00,and a photocopy is acceptable.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:07 am 
Guppy

Stinger
Well I guess I've heard from the perfect boater or the realtive of an OPP or CO. As for poachers in the Quinte area; just ask any of the resort operators what they think the problem is, and ask what the CO's are doing about it.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:16 pm 
Guppy

JimBob,
please don't take it the wrong way :D ,I wasn't criticisising your post.It would have been nice if thay gave you a break.nobody is a perfect boater or a perfect driver.we all learn as we go along in life.hopefully from other people's mistakes,I learn to carry all those things onboard by reading reports like yours.all I was trying to say is that safety equipment is good to have in an emergency situation.
and I wasn't only talking about poachers and ignorant boaters in BOQ,(I am aware of BOQ problems)
some places in Kwarthas are like a zoo on a weekend.Frequent petrols by OPP or COs could help keep things in check.just my opinion.
sorry if I offended you in any way. :oops:
Oh,and I am not related to anybody in the law enfocement agencies... :D
all the best and tight lines.

banner ad
 Post subject: Welllll...
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:46 pm 
Guppy

I'd rather be checked 3 times a day by CO's and OPP than not to see them out at all! :wink:

And if I fail to produce any of the required safety items, or if I have an OOS fish, I'd expect to be fined for my own stupidity.

CCB

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:58 pm 
Walleye Fry

Fines pay for cops which lay more fines which pays for more cops which lay more fines which pays for more cops which lay more fines which pays for more cops which lay more fines which pays for more cops which lay more fines which pays for more cops which lay more fines. Exactly where does the benefit to society come in to this picture? Read some history instead of watching some retarded sporting event and you will see where this POLICE STATE, SEMI COMMUNIST country is headed. There are constant " speeding blitzes" because they raise revenue for the municipality ,not for our safety. If I am wrong then why don't the powers that be have "break and enter blitzes" or "wife battery blitzes". It's real simple. Under the GUISE of PUBLIC SAFETY these speeding blitzes are a cash cow and easily fed to the public based on there PERCIEVED value as a SAFETY issue. There needs to be a compliancy line for these fines. If a guy has 11 of the 12 safety devices on board there should be a warning issued based upon a strong majority of compliancy.Anyone who argues this is a totalitarian a$$hole.

banner ad
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:47 pm 
Guppy

cancatchbass

Try fishing from a boat with downriggers set and planer boards set and have the CO's and OPP check you three times a day and then tell my how happy that makes you. And I'm talking personal fishing boat not a charter. The charters seem to not be bothered by the OPP. And I'll guarantee you 90% of all charter boats allow booze on board or business would be very poor.

banner ad
 Post subject: Harassment
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:02 pm 
Walleye Angler

At the beginning of each season we go over the boat and check out all equipment including all saftey equipment required by law. It is all stored away so it is there when required.

I would hate too think what would happen if there were no rules or laws and everyone did what they wanted to. No cops when you need one!!!

Safe season on the water.

banner ad
 Post subject: stupidity
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:07 pm 
Walleye

While Not having required equipment on board is no excuse, a fine of 25 bucks should of been enough. My question, over lots of years fishing Canadian waters, is the total disreguard for lights on boats after sundown. This is a far more potentially dangerous situation that seems to have been going on for a lot of years. The OPP should go out on a weekend evening and fill the coffers with fines for no lights. roughrider

banner ad