Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why trolling at HayBay?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:44 am 
Guppy

I am not a walleye angler and very confused on the BOQ walleye fishing.
Most of reports apparently use the trolling in Picton area. But some friends told me there are many anglers fishing jig from shore and landing walleye in 525 or 538 exit.
But I know there is a reason that most walleye experts gave up BOQ bay which is closer in distance, and they do not use jig+grub which is easier to cover the water and slower retrieving which is better for inactive fish. So can anyone explain the reason? I am planning a walleye trip (hopefully break my PB which is 7.2# :lol: ) to 525 or 538 this weekend. Any suggestion and advice are much appreciated.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 am 
Walleye Master

I am not really sure what you are asking but I believe you are asking if walleye can be reached from shore using your jig method? As far as it being a method to cover more water than trolling , that's not true. Your chances of catching fish over the size of your pb are greatly increased by trolling. I am not sure where 525 or 538 are but keep in mind the BOQ is a huge area and the reason it is such a walleye heaven is that he fish funnel in that area to feed on all the bait that moves in. The BOQ is also a huge spawning area so he fish will remain until then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:19 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I think your talking about the exits off the 401??? Trenton, Belleville???? I was getting them from shore in Trenton. The average fish there is 2-4 lbs. My biggest there has been 6 lbs this year. If your looking to break your PB then your best odds would b trolling around the reach near picton. Good Luck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:25 pm 
Guppy

525exit is trenton and 538exit is belleville. Sorry for the confusing.
I was thinking if shore angler can catch them then I could fish much more deep from those locations and I may get bigger fish :) Now I got it, Haybay area is where the big girl are and Trenton or Belleville area produces smaller fish.
Thank you Pickeral killer and TheLandShank.
Another question is trolling TD20 may land a walleye from deep water. Is it safe to release them? Should we needle the blade first?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:28 pm 
Guppy

Trolling usually mean fast-moving crank bait; the big fish is usually lazy and inactive. So, naive me thinking, maybe slowly dragging jig at the bottom will trigger big fish biting? so called: Slow down and deep bottom means big fish, which I prove in bass fishing. :roll:

TheLandshark wrote:
I am not really sure what you are asking but I believe you are asking if walleye can be reached from shore using your jig method? As far as it being a method to cover more water than trolling , that's not true. Your chances of catching fish over the size of your pb are greatly increased by trolling. I am not sure where 525 or 538 are but keep in mind the BOQ is a huge area and the reason it is such a walleye heaven is that he fish funnel in that area to feed on all the bait that moves in. The BOQ is also a huge spawning area so he fish will remain until then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:52 pm 
Walleye Master

This isn't bass fishing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:58 pm 
Walleye Master

Honestly your chances of getting a new personal best walleye are greatly increased by trolling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:32 pm 
Guppy

OK, forget about bass experience, it is walleye, I get it :) trolling HayBay, that's plan for a PB :)
I did not find many trolling technique on hay bay walleye from these posts. Mr. land shark, can you do me one more favor ... what will you recommend on
1 Lure model / size / color?
2 how long the line should I let it go?
3 Trolling speed?
4 Troll on an area or should I keep boat on certain Water depth line?
5 Any other thing I need to prepare?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:35 pm 
Walleye Master

Try reef runner 800s or rapala tail dancers in size 9 or 11. Anywhere from 50-100 feet of line depending on your depth at about 1.4 mph-2.1 mph go get em

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:50 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

You’re going to be hitting the bottom of Hay Bay if you’re trolling a TD20…lol. Reef runner 700’s and mid size crank baits for Hay Bay. If you go into Long Reach which is at the head of Hay Bay you can use the TD11 and Reef Runner 800’s between 100 and 175ft behind your board or longer if you’re Long Lining. Purples, greys and white work well. Speeds between 1.5 and 2.6 work well, very the speed till you find what’s working. Don’t think the big girls are in that far yet so don’t be discouraged if you get 3 and 4 lb resident fish, if you want the big ones you need to go fish near the ferry and east to Keith’s shoal and the bat cave. If you want to know where that is, look at a map or check the tips and tricks section or do a search on both in the forum search bar. Good luck out there and careful as last weekend there were about 100 boats in the reach doing all kinds of crazy ***…lol Just know right now, Bass are a nuisance fish (and always are lol).
Tim

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:34 pm 
Guppy

Thanks everyone ... I now am so confident the PB is no the question and only wonder if how high the bar I can push to! :twisted:
100 boats?! It will snap with each other line on the trolling, right? I cannot image the party is that hot... I thought I was the few crazy ones who did not winterize the boat yet!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:48 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Lots for boats out there all trolling not just a few crazy ones, so you have to pay attention and weave in and out between the boats that are heading towards you. Lots of big fish out there to be caught, but it some times takes awhile to find them and find what presentation they want.

Best of luck when you go out and be safe out there.

JimW

Smiths Falls DCI Redhawks Fishing Team Coach

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:25 pm 
Walleye

19 plus?? yikes! that seems pretty far fetched!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:32 pm 
Walleye Master

19lbs eh..... :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:28 pm 
Walleye Master

forget the food or release, that would be a perfect mount!

at that size it wouldn't be spawning successfully either way.

just we've seen fish on here that were supposedly 16lbs, 17lbs, etc and they always turned out to be 10lbs to 12lbs.

guess this fella had enough walleye for a few meals :)

banner ad