Tourism
Trailer Parks
Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:16 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:14 pm 
Walleye Angler

Catch and Possession Limits – The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day and includes fish that are not immediately released and any fish eaten or given away. The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise specified.

I think the operative word here is AND, as in catch and keep. There are many on here (myself) included that have days where you catch many fish over their limit but as long as once your limit is kept and the remainder are immediately released, no problem.

Personally it depends on the weather, if it's bitterly cold it is harder to release a fish without some sort of damage being done during the release process, plus it's cold out, I get my limit and scram.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:18 pm 
Walleye Angler

Cut and Pasted .... From Regulations......... If you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch or possession limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately back to the water (see Ontario’s Catch and Retain Rules, page 9). If the limit is zero, anglers may practise catch and release only, and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish. (see Size Limits).................

To me that means Joe can fish after his limit, but has left me unsure of what he would do if the fish he caught, after his limit, was mortally wounded.

Oh , and Sam needs to catch his own freaking fish, or how else is he gonna learn?

Last edited by littledog on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I wonder where this came from hahaha. Landshark is right! The way i see it. You can only catch retain your OWN fish it states in the regs. Once you got your 4th in your possession your done. You can head home or stay on the ice and eat them, and go back fishing the same day if you like. But if you have 4 walleye in the freezer with your (sport) license, I don't think your alloud to go fishing for walleye.

Last edited by pickerel killer on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:28 pm 
Walleye Angler

As stated in the regs,

Catch and Possession Limits – The catch limit is the number of fish you are allowed to catch and keep in one day and includes fish that are not immediately released and any fish eaten or given away. The possession limit is the number you are allowed to have in your possession on hand, in cold storage, in transit, or anywhere. Possession limits are the same as one day’s catch limit except where otherwise specified.
If you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch or possession limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately back to the water (see Ontario’s Catch and Retain Rules, page 9). If the limit is zero, anglers may practise catch and release only, and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish. For some species there are no limits and no reference will be made to a limit in this summary (see Size Limits, page 8).

No mention of weather Joe can decide to keep more than his legal limit and decide to give them to Sam at his discretion or not. I think the over limit fish is legally Joe's when he decided not to immediately release it as stated in the regs putting him over his limit and now is at the discretion of the enforcement officer whether or not to charge Joe....if seen. I know you are not even allowed to snap pictures before releasing because that is not an "immediate release". Keep in mind these guys blend in really good from a thread about the Warden up at the Ganny last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:30 pm 
Walleye Master

Just out of curiosity Wayne, where do you see that? ok i see guys pasted it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:36 pm 
Walleye Angler

What if Sam is Joe's son? Can they have 8 fish in one freezer? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

As long as they both have sport licenses and Sam and joe have the same permanent address they can

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:47 pm 
Walleye Master

Summer 2009.

I'm fishing Dunnville Dam with my good buddy Jackson.

After some good fishing we quickly have our limit of 8 walleye (four each).

These fish were on shore, dead.

We continued to fish as we were also catching random drum and cats. It was a nice day and we were enjoying it.

During this time the good ole MNR came on down to say hello. Just as they were climbing "down" the little hill (not very steep, but all rocks), Jacko lands another beauty eye. Jackson unhooks it, says "nice one stinky" (referring to me) and tossed 'er back in the drink.

MNR Immediately comments why would we release such a beauty walleye? We smiled and pointed to our "pile" of walleye up against the concrete...

They asked to our licenses to prove we had sportsman tags. We did.

The good MNR guys stuck around for a few minutes watching my buddy Jacko fish. He caught two more walleye in the next 10 mins...for those who fish Dunnville dam the fish are literally at your feet. Each one he unhooked, gave myself and the MNR dudes a quick look (he was standing in the water up to his shins, we were on shore), and let'em go.

They did some measurements on the walleye we were keeping. While doing so I landed a beauty drum. I commented the dam is chalk full of different species of fish. They agreed and talked about trap netting near the dam. They get quite a mix of fish in the nets.

After about half an hour they left, wishing us success. At no point did they mention about stopping fishing.

We didn't take any photo's of the walleye Jacko was catching, after the limit was caught. But while in the presence of the MNR I certainly didn't get a feeling that taking a photo prior to releasing a walleye (after a limit was achieved) would be any issue at all.

I know all MNR officers are different, and you can't assume all will react in the same way, but I'm sure it would be ok.

Last edited by steve-hamilton on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:51 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Few years ago on Simcoe a friend of mine was in a hot hole for whitefish caught his 2 then preceded to catch a few more which he released,two other fishermen came up he gave them one each,we packed up the two fishermen stayed and fished our holes. we went to shore two mnr guys sitting there doing a check as you came off the ice showed him our fish no problem they say,then ask my buddy what about the two fish he gave away.$250.00 fine they had a high power spotting scope set up watching.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:01 pm 
Walleye Master

you guys are great . I really mean that......... now does anyone besides me think they write these rules leaving loop holes you could drive a truck thru just so they can nab you on a technicality if they choose to lol like why is there a daily limit and a possession limit if they are in fact one and the same this would leave me to believe if you caught a daily limit you can not catch later that day even if you went home and ate the fish you caught in the morning.
ok so morally do you guys think if you have reached your limits it is still perfectly fine to target the same fish you already possess a limit of or does morals really have nothing to do with it ? I ask this because shark and I have had a conversation basically because we are both born and raised in NY and in NY we have a legal limit but we do not have a possession limit our freezer can be full of fish that has nothing to do with being on the water or ice where we have a catch limit for the day. period possession is only a word used until you get home.
Hutchy I would think it pays to have 6 sons, and a few wife's toss in a couple daughters and you can fill your freezer as long as they have a license im really not sure how it works if your kid is like 5 years old and does not need a license lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:04 pm 
Walleye Master

Morally?

Fish away bud ... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:27 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Steve I think in your previous post it was fine because you were catching multiple species of fish. So after you had your walleye limit. You were fishing for drum.

And morally..........I don't think it's right to have your limit, and then go say your "perch fishing" and catch and release walleye after walleye after walleye outta that hole. Morally if your perch fishing, and say you catch 4 eyes outta that hole and 1 perch. you should pick up and move, because your intentionally targeting a species. Just my feelings anyways.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:39 pm 
Walleye Angler

Zone 20 daily limit 4 which one can be over 24.8 inches. Provincial possession is 6 per person . Everyone who is an Ontario resident under 18 does not need a licence and is allowed 4 a day and 6 in possession.

Sorry Griz on the sidetrack , I know I did not answer your question but figured people could use the info.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:43 pm 
Walleye

Do you mean to tell me that as the owner of the bay you don't even understand your own rules? :P :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:49 pm 
Walleye Master

OMG husky lol too funny .... hell I have one rule there is no rules as long as everyone gets along and no one looses an eye lol ...... good addition catcher I did not know the 6 in possession was the rule hutchy is gonna need a bigger freezer with his deer and all them fish form 6 kids and two wifes lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
banner ad