Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

banner ad
 Post subject: planer board setup
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:17 am 
Walleye

I will be running 4 planer boards and 1 or 2 long lines on the opener any tips on setups to reduce tangles and increase my success rate would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: planer board setup
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:31 am 
Walleye Master

that's a lot of guys on board .... remember, only one rod per person in boq, west of the ferry.

but to reduce tangles, just put your boards out 85' and 180' to each side. then run your longs out the back.

remember, shallowest lures on the outside board, middle divers on the inside board, and deepest lures out the back.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Exactly what steve said.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:04 pm 
Walleye

thanks guys for the info would you run all the lines the same distance behind the boards stagger them or does it matter.we have run boards before but only 2 at at time.we are fishing east of the ferry and there are 3 of us weve had some succes there in the past and we hope to improve our success rate by running more lines.hopeing for a tangle free day LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:40 pm 
Walleye

Hey,

The ideal situation is to use your electronics to determine where the fish are in the water column. Once you have identified that, you can run your baits at that depth. Now, if you are marking fish all over the water column, I suggest that you run your baits at varying depths. Once you begin to have success at a certain depth, you can adjust the other baits to closely resemble the most productive one. Being able to detrermine what depth your baits are running at with "x" amount of line out is virtually impossible. For this, I urge you to go out and by a book called Precision Trolling by Mark Romanack. It is $10.00 cheaper than BPS if you order it from his website www.precisiontrolling.net. If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll be happy to help out!

Good luck man!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 am 
Walleye

Thanks again for all the info thinking about running cc shads on the outer boards taildancers reef runners huskyjerks on the inner boards and running bottom bouncers with worm harneses out the back any comments?

Garry A.K.A tALL TAIL'S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like you got it fairly well covered. Now all there is to do is, sit back crack open the thermos grab a sandwich and see if they take and come up with plan B :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:46 am 
Walleye Master

only thing i see potentially with that is, your inside boards w/ the taildancers/reef runners (not so much deep diving husky jerks) might be running deeper than your worm harness rigs with the bottom bouncers...

have fun and catch some fishies!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 am 
Walleye Master

regarding how far to run your baits behind the boards, thats what Grand was getting at....

if i was to run your spread, i'd do 220' back on the outside board and the shallow bait, 175' back on the middle board and the medium bait, then 150' back on the longline and your deepest bait...

still be careful with those bottom bouncers ... unless your planning on running 4 ounce weights, you might find they are not the deepest bait....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:31 pm 
Walleye

some more great information thanks again guys .Hopefully i'll have some Tall Tail's to share with everybody after opening weekend.Hey Dan my plan B is usually stick with plan A and hope and prey IT works LOL!!!!

GOOD LUCK to everybody on the opener.

Garry A.K.A tall tail's

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:30 am 
Jumbo Perch

Well Gary, aka Tall Tail's

How did your weekend go?

I am a newby when it comes to the slide planers. any assistance and tips are welcome.

We are planning a trip to Deseronto later this week and I would like to put out a couple of boards and try some dead sticking too.

Quinteguy