banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 12:38 pm
banner ad

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:25 am 
Walleye Angler

Well there are some things I like to shoot with a crossbow like deer and big game animals. And some I like to shoot with a gun like ducks , geese and turkeys. But I have only ever shoot one turkey with a crossbow and that was about 15 years ago. So I decided this year to give it a go again and film it with the Go-Pro. So I have been watching a clearing with 2 Toms in it every afternoon and they had been showing up everyday before 4 :00 . So I set the tent blind up at about 11 :30 and sat and waited. At about 12: 30 a hen showed up and she was quite content and was purring and waliking around 10 yards from the tent. So I guess the tent was not going to spook them. At about 1:00 I heard a distant gobble and then 10 minutes later another and it was closer this time. I did not want to call to soon due to a lot of hunting pressure from where they were comming from. so eventually after about an hour or so they were in the clearing although I could not see them I could hear them gobble. I did not want to make my move to soon so I resisted all tempatations to call. Finally at about 2:15 I figured they were about 100 yards or so, so I let out a few purrs and soft clucks on the Gobble Stalker 3 reed phantom. Instant gobble and I think I peaked their attention. And they started comming my way. A few more purrs and it was all over they were hooked. After a few minutes I could here the spitting and drumming and then I saw them for the first time and they were close 20 yards. I hit record on the Go -Pro and up goes the bow , the strutter was the one I wanted so I gave a loud cluck hopefully to break his strutt. ( only because not sure where to shoot them when they are strutting. ) It worked and he stood right up and soon the lighted firebolt with a 150 grain boltcutter was off the rail. And whack it looked good but he flew and man I am not used to that. Usually when I shoot them with a gun they do not move from where they were. Anyhow he flew like nothing happened and I watched him fly out of site. And I thought to myself I am never going to see you again. But then I thought I heard him crash into some trees but it was far. So that gave me some hope at least. First I could not find my arrow but I knew the direction of flight. And instead of a blood trail the turkey left feathers all long his flight path. Which worked out perfect because at about 75 yards or so there he was at the bottom of the tree he was trying to make it over when he flew. That is where I heard him crash. Whew what a releif to find him. I got him home and took the pictures and measurments and he was 20.7 pounds and an even 10 inch beard and one spur was 1 1/8 and one was 1 1/16. Although it was thrilling to take a turkey with the crossbow I like to eat them and man was there a lot of blood clotting and damage from the shoot. I ended up putting the broadhead right through his heart. But I think from now on I will go back to my trusty 20 gauge for these birds. Less damage in the breast area. Although once I took the time and pealed back the skin and carefully cleaned out the clotting he looked fine but if you did not do that it would be messy when you cooked him. My 2 cents anyway. good luck to everyone else out there in the turkey woods and now to do a little guiding for some anxious friends.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 am 
Walleye Master

Sweet Catcher, but now I think you're either showing off or just have too much time on your hands LOL!! :mrgreen:

I shot one once with the compound and regular braoadhead years ago and found the same thing with the damage. I've been wanting to try one of the turkey broadheads like the guillotine that are designed for head shots, but don't have the time anymore to get out enough with the gun never mind the bow.

Anyone ever try a turkey broadhead like that?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:58 am 
Walleye Angler

Great read and photos.....I'm thinking about taking out the crossbow for tag #2.

I would love to see the go pro video if you get it up on youtube!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:58 am 
Walleye Master

Definitely love to see the video. The camera looks awesome mounted on your crossbow. Let us know where we can see it when you get a chance.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 pm 
Walleye Angler

No you tube for me lol. I am lucky I can post pictures on here yet alone you tube. I am just playing around with the go pro right now. I mainly got it for when I go bear hunting in Sask. in a month. I def have to remember to keep the bow pointed at game after the shot. Because my Turkey video is brutal lol. As soon as I shoot I lower the bow and miss most of everything. Right up to the shot is good but after the shot it is terible. Oh well that is why I am working the kinks out now before my trip.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:13 am 
Walleye Master

Bear hunting in Sask. in June???!!! You really got me drooling now. There's not enough room for all the green with envy happy faces here.

Do tell more.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 pm 
Walleye Angler

Great hunt. I have had lots of action but they just not cooperating

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 pm 
Walleye

Congrats I'm looking to only use bow next year.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 am 
Walleye Angler

Great bird!