Launches

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The life of a hunter.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:15 pm 
Walleye Angler

i thought i would share my story so far for this 2012 hunting season.

This season has had its ups and downs, but for every hunter you always have to keep in your head everything happens for a reason and thats why its called hunting. The past few years i have had pictures and sightings of a MASSIVE buck.. probly 160"-170".. this deer is always in the back of my mind on the on season and off season lol. i have been baiting 4 stands on my property with apples this season and i have tons of action at all of them. but not one picture of the big guy, thaats the way it always goes. the day before gun opener i was sitting in a strand where its on the edge of a feild next to a massive marsh backed by a chunk of this young bush.
it was about the last 20 min of light i had 8 does in the middle of the feild making their way slowly to my apples when whos decides to finally show up.? yup the big dude.. he runs out and chases all the does off the feild and runs back in the woods and within that whole 30 seconds of seeing him i near fell out of the stand!, after that night i coudnt stop thinking about him so i called work and told them the story!! and they left me have the gun opener off!, im in my stand hour before light and not even sitting there i hear somthing 15 yards behind me.. and to my left out walks mr big!... well everyone will puke when you hear what comes next............ :o .. i go to pull up and drop him at 13 yards and i cant see out of my red dot scope.. all i see is a wall of red... so i pull my gun down and start thinking oh no what the **ck should i do... my coat makes a noise he spots me and is staring me down... i turn down the brightness on the dot pull up again and still the same thing... so im thinking should i look down the side of the barrell and guess my shot?.. at this point its all happening so fast i dont know what to think... anyways long story short he does not stay around long and leaves and i dont take the shot because i was down wind and i figured he might come back........wrong!!!.... anyway a week passes and i hunt everynight i can... always doe's but no buck... which is expected... i have been doing it all right always spraying down before i go in... never go in on a bad wind and keep all my stuff in scent bag..
anyways week passes cant stop thinking about him thinking i will never see him again... i have been getting advice from a local hunter (ADVENTURE) very nice guy and is full of alot of great information... he is giving me tips on what i should and should not do to try and better my chances of getting him.. so this past sat i hunted another chunk of land to give that one a break... i see a spiker and doe but i let them both pass.. i head back to my property to check trail cams at about 1:00pm and i pull off the road to park and walk in when i see a white figure 2 feilds of so i pull up the gun to check and its him staring right at me eating my apples...........i feel sick once again.. but knowing hes still alive is somthing else.. anyways guys i will keep you updated because that buck has my name all over him ... cheers to everyone who is hunting and good luck stay safe....drink lots lol

Cody

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:46 am 
Walleye Angler

Those big guy's will haunt you , trust me . Good luck with him.

banner ad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm 
Walleye Master

Catcher's right about haunting you., You can also add frustrate, baffle, shock, bewilder, aggrevate, amaze.....

Keep at them. December 31st is still a long ways off. You'll either outwit him, get lucky or he'll either slip. Barring one of those, he'll be even bigger next year. :lol:

Keep us posted.
Dave

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:17 am 
Walleye Angler

He didn't get to be a "Mr. Big Buck" on dumb luck, you got to get him when he isn't thinking with his head.....the one with the brains in it :lol: :lol: :lol:

banner ad
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:47 am 
Walleye Angler

Hahaha ... That's what I'm wishing he will do! Well all get a little dumb when we think
That way dont we lol :lol:

Cody

banner ad