banner ad

Quinte Fishing

Fishing Reports for the Bay of Quinte
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15 am 
Walleye Wisdom

I watched the new show last night on WFN. It wasn't listed to air; showing tonight actually, but reading Ashley's FB posts, checked anyways and was happy I did.

My wife woke up right when it started and immediately recognized Ashley and Joe. First time she's watched an entire show, let along a fishing show, from 9-10 on a work night...she gets up way too early. :)

Wanted to give a shout out and a big congratulations to not only the host but also Executive Producer Ashley Rae along with the other board members here and hosts Jeff Chisolm and Joe Pickstock. Oh yeah...although I don't really know of him, Matt too. He was very dialed in.

Amazing videography, very well done and you all made it look like it was a ton of fun...but I'm sure a lot of work to do.

I'm not much of an ice-fisher but it made me want to get out. I hope there are more episodes to come...

Cheers,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:32 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I hope it's on tonight(Wed) as I've the PVR set to go. She mentioned in her newspaper column on Saturday, that it would be on Tues, BUT the Cable listing showed Wed.

Fingers Crossed.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:13 pm 
Walleye

Watched it as well, it was good stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:27 pm 
Walleye Angler

Great episode, production value is the best of any fishing show I have seen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:23 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

I also enjoyed the show last night.

The video scenes were excellent.

When I first heard about her hosting a show, I thought a good name would be "Real Catching with Ashley Rae". Sort of like "Real Fishing with Bob Izumi".

BATMAN 8)

Last edited by BATMAN on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:24 pm 
Walleye Master

I thought the show was good too......But.... I kinda figured Jeff or Joe would be in line to get their own show on WFN before Ashley would. I'd say they've earned it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:10 pm 
Walleye Master

lots and lots and lots of good anglers out there that have "earned" a fishing show.....

but that doesn't mean you get one....earning a show isn't something that occurs with fishing shows.....

just ask Mariko.

sponsors are number #1 when it comes to fishing shows......and what do sponsors like? Well, you get the idea.

Look forward to catching this show....i'm sure it'll be much better than Mariko.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:54 pm 
Walleye Angler

Awesome show for sure! Some UNREAL footage they took!
Congrats too all involved and I hope the show takes off and is a weekly occurrence because I sure enjoyed watching it.

Walleye 9 wrote:
I thought the show was good too......But.... I kinda figured Jeff or Joe would be in line to get their own show on WFN before Ashley would. I'd say they've earned it.

I agree that Jeff/Joe have done a ton of work in/for the industry but you must not know Ashley.
She has a work ethic and passion that MOST people don't have.
She has worked her butt off to get where she is, and has DEF "earned" it.
She's done more promoting for the sport than most any other angler I've seen.
To basically say that she didnt deserve it, is a total crock.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 am 
Walleye Wisdom

Ashley has done a ton for the sport and agree Stoty.

From what I can tell, she's always willing to be at any event to promote and whenever I see her, her passion for anything fishing is obvious.

She relates well with everyone and I think is bringing in an entirely new type of fisher-people. People where I work, knowing I like to fish, are always asking me if I know Ashley. They're learning about her but more importantly fishing, within her articles in the paper, radio promotions etc.

To me, that's success and if I were a potential sponsor, would hope to have her on my team.

As for Jeff / Joe...yep, they're awesome and have done equally their share to promote and are some of the best fisher-people we have around (IMHO). In front of the camera? I was very impressed with Captured and always too with Jeff and Scott's on-line videos.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:23 am 
QUINTEFISHING HALL OF FAME MEMBER

I'm Really cheesed off with WFN and Cogeco...................

The program ran on Tuesday night and I didn't see a listing for it, but IT was listed on Wednesday and they ran 'Fishing the Flats' instead.

What's going on??????????

There's a show on Dec 1 on WFN - I hope I can record that one.

David aka Superdad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 am 
Walleye Wisdom

go girl go,i think she is great and i hope she goes as far as she whats to go, because she seems to have alot of passion for the sport and good for her iam looking forward to seeing video soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:45 pm 
Walleye Master

I totally understand where you are coming from but ..... you'd be amazed what actually goes on with current filming of fishing shows.

By your suggestion, those who have had long standing fishing shows meet your description of what it takes to have a show.

But if that were true, why does a show taping require often three or four boats out finding fish only for the "fishing show host" to know exactly where to go and how to get them....this is especially true for open water fishing such as big water smallies.

Other show hosts rely on guides....but not "JUST" guides, they rely on guides telling them within a day or two notice that RIGHT NOW the fishing is hot. So the host goes out with the guide at the best time for that particular fish.

We have fist hand accounts of hosts having rods handed to them with a fish caught on the line, and in some cases, caught from boats around searching. I have a first hand account of a very large smallie being caught by a "search boat", then called the "host boat" over, handed the rod to the host, then they start filming.

What goes on in the "tv fishing industry" will make you sick.

As such, if you have a fishing show, that does not mean you are even remotely a good angler. Just have good sponsorship support.

I would never name any hosts involved in these types of activities, but you'd be surprised what goes on out there.

A very well respected quinte guide was trolling the reach, catching walleye on boards, then rehooking the fish to get shots of them catching the fish jigging, just to show their clients that their sponsored jig company can catch quinte walleye.

Another first hand account directly from the supplier of the filming boat advised that they were catching walleye using standard methods on Quinte only to rehook them and film them caught on "swim baits". That might be enough to know exactly what I'm talking about as there hasn't been a ton of filming on Quinte catching walleye on swim baits. Yes, a couple were caught on swim baits but not nearly the amount that were filmed.

Look at ice fishing guides. During taping they have a large number of "co guides" fishing the area finding the hot holes only to get the "host" in the best action for filming. It costs a lot to film and this is required.

When you get to learn the ins and outs of the fishing filming industry, you will be shocked....but after a while you just get used to it.

There are many folks who will read this, who are "in the know" that know exactly what I'm talking about....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:15 pm 
Walleye Master

i just received an inquiring pm, relating to the point about the jigging, i want to make clear that it WAS NOT G2 angling - who were the biggest supporters of jigging big walleye.

The event I'm referring to above occurred back in 2006.

A couple years ago I went out with G2 on a fall day jigging up walleye. We caught a bunch and they were 100% legit.

Just wanted to clarify in event folks out there have some thought it was them, as they were one of the 'founders' of making it public that jigging quinte can catch huge walleye! G2 jigging was the real deal!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:54 pm 
Walleye Master

I have to think about the first time i ever heard about A R . she came on this board looking to win a contest about growing up a fisherman/person..... at the time i watched her video and thought it was cute actually i thought she was about 15 maybe 16 tossing arounf a lil fishy pillow in her living room .. ok cool . the point was she reached out to the public and it paid off as she won the contest. hey Kudos what she did was sell an image to the public.
I have to admit i had to think about the many kids who entered that contest with videos of there own I never saw any of them but maybe some were much better than hers but they didnt reach out to the internet to show an image. was quite suprized when i found out she was much older than the 15 year old person I was led to believe she was..........
Bottom line is she is still doing the selling and doing a pretty bang up job of it, it has definatly taken her places many people could only dream of going........ I know she can catch fish seen it first hand.... but she is much better at selling an image. many people can see this and will use it to there advantage so they ride along together no harm no foul, it is what it is and the public speaks for its self . good Job Ash...... Happy fishing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:48 pm 
Walleye Wisdom

Fishing TV hosts are selected on their ability to appeal to a wide demographic and act as a pitch man/woman for sponsor products. The fishing is, as Steve pointed out, very much a team effort between the production crew and local experts in the know. Its just the economics of the way the deal works. Lots of great local fishermen don't get the recognition for making these shows have a successful taping and helping the host look good.

That said I've met the lady and she is obviously passionate about the sport. I certainly don't begrudge her taking full advantage of any opportunities provided to make a living in the industry. I don't think many would turn it down and say " no somebody else is more deserving". I hope she puts together a good show and gives credit where credit is due.

"Fish Hard, Hunt Hard, Live Hard"

http://www.muskiescanada.ca/

banner ad